What am I allowed to sell?

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi,

I am brand new to ecommerce/dropshipping and wanted to ask some questions. I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.

I'm confused with which products I'm allowed to sell. For example, I notice many people use Aliexpress to find their products and suppliers.

1) However, isn't every product already on Aliexpress, etc. there already branded? 

2) I know that everyone doing dropshipping creates their own website, creates a name for their "company" and "makes a brand." And then people use the exact images of the products from Aliexpress to directly put onto their website. But how am I supposed to make my own website/brand label if the product I want to sell is already branded and I am just purchasing them from already established companies?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi Tnak,

You're allowed to sell any products that don't fall within the Shopify restricted items list: https://www.shopify.com/legal/aup-definitions#RestrictedItems

Products that you're sourcing for drop shipping may already be branded. There's two ways you can go about it (both include creating your own brand, logo, etc.).

1) You create your website with your own name, logo, branding, etc., and you basically become a reseller of the products you've chosen to drop ship. Meaning, each product may have it's own branding on the actual product (which you leave as is and simply sell through your site).

2) You create your website with your own name, logo, branding, etc., and you reach out to the people selling the products you want to drop ship to ask if they will do "private labeling". This means you will sell their product, but they will put YOUR branding labels on them so it looks as if all of your products are created and sold exclusively through you. 

Both ways work just fine, however, there is often extra cost involved in private labeling products as you have to pay a fee to have the company put your label on, plus you have to pay to create the physical branding labels that they will be affixing to the product. In my experience, most drop shipping companies will just source a curated collection of products and sell those, ignoring the fact that they may all have separate branding labels on them.

Hope this helps and good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Extremely detailed and very helpful! Thank you Sophia!

In regards to #1 - so basically there will be competitors that are going to be selling the exact same product with the same packaging, brand, logo, etc. is that correct? If so, is that allowed?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

You're welcome!

Yes, exactly. There may be other competitors selling the exact same products. What sets you apart ends up being the collection of products that you source (a good curated collection on your site will make it easier for shoppers to buy everything in one place - from your site), your marketing efforts (ads, social media accounts, etc.), customer service, shipping costs/policies/return policy, etc.

You are allowed to sell other brands on your site, as long as the company you've sourced from agrees to that - which is usually fine when they're agreeing to drop ship.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

You've answered everything I was looking for. Thank you very much, Sophia!

1 Like