What am I doing wrong?

5 0 0

I'm pretty new to this.  Website has been up for about a year. Sales are ok. I may be over thinking things. I was hoping that our sales would be at a better percentage by now. We seem to have minimal steady traffic. Most of our traffic is from Pinterest. I have tried other social media outlets without success. Maybe it's the layout of our online store. I just don't know. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
14 0 3

Hey there Colette! 

I'm Mike, one of the gurus here at Shopify!

I don't think you're doing anything wrong per se, but every website can use a fresh pair of eyes to help identify ways to improve! Looking through your site, i've noticed the following things below that might help:

1. First thing I noticed is that some of your product images on your home page are not the same size. Having your images sized the same way can help make your website look more professional and symmetrical. If you want to learn more about product image sizes be sure to checkout this guide here.

2. Some additional color can do a lot to help your website pop and stand out amongst others. I love the black and white look that you got going on, but you might want to consider adding some color to your page, and potentially having the background white instead of black. 

3. Another thing you might want to consider is having a slide show banner on your website to showcase and highlight some of your featured products or sales. If your theme does not include a slideshow we have some free ones available on our theme store that you can easily switch to and use instead. You'll find the list of theme's with slideshows right here.

4. Lastly, I'm not sure how many promotions and deals you've had in the past, but definitely try to advertise / run promotions more on social media if you can. A real popular method is to offer a discount code on a purchase if a customer "likes" your store on Facebook, which not only gives you a potential sale from that customer, but advertising from the "like" itself. I had a look for you on our App Store and found that Social Coupon Popup and Coopt can both help quite a bit by offering customers incentives to share / like your store. Furthermore, be sure to checkout our own KIT App that is designed specifically to help you create ads on various social media platforms on the fly.

I hope some of these tips help you out with your store! We love to help out merchants be more successful, so be sure to reach out to our 24/7 support if you ever want to discuss more ways to improve your sales!

Good luck,

Mike | Your Shopify Guru
Reach out to us anytime : 1-888-746-7439

0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 1

Where using the same theme so I would like to chime on this as I can relate. First, I would change the black background to perhaps a off-white or cream color. You have a nice site but I personally feel that the background is just to dark. As Mike stated abouve, some of your photos are not consistently the same size. I would add your email or phone # at the very top of your homepage. CALL TO ACTION!! You have to get peoples attention of what YOU want them to do while they are on or visting your site. Weather it's buying your product and or reading your blog. 

Become more creative with your lisitings. Add more detail to your products. For example this item:

https://streets-of-orleans.myshopify.com/collections/alabama-roll-tide/products/alabama-bracelet-1

Has a description that reads "Officially licensed  University of Alabama stretch bracelet with silver tone beads". Customers can't feel your item, smell, touch, etc. You have to describe your item in a way as if it where in your customers hand right now. Checkout other websites that sell similar items to you and get ideas from them. A little tweaking and you should see results. Your on the right path, don;t give up!

Vintage Triumph parts, classic BSA parts, and Norton parts!
0 Likes
5 0 0

Thank you so much for your help! I'm definitely going to try to fix the points that you mentioned.

0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 1

No problem! Goodluck :)

0 Likes

First, please purchase a domain name! You're using the name.myshopify.com format and you instantly lose credibility.

Second, and most importantly -- you haven't done any SEO at all :( Think of the internet as a vast ocean, with websites being isolated islands. Having backlinks is like having bridges that connect all the islands, and if you don't have any backlinks, no one will know about your site. Your only source of backlinks come from Pinterest, however these are called "nofollow" backlinks, meaning they don't boost your rankings in Google at all.

You only have one backlink that's good, and it's a Japanese site which Google will likely see a spam. Likely, you didn't even know this backlink existed did you? 

http://giniroantique.com/?p=6228

Did you know you rank on the 2nd page of Google when someone searches for "auburn tiger earrings?"

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=auburn+tiger+earrings&s...

Truly you only have Pinterest and organic searches as a traffic source. I found out that your site isn't really ranking for any kewyords that you probably want to be ranked.

• tanning salon orleans
  • western streets
  • cal dog sweater
  • roll tide t shirt
  • boston bruins dog sweater
  • musical themed jewelry
  • glass streets
  • love you more wall plaque
  • glass streets
  • auburn tigers earrings
  • love you more plaque
  • largest wine glass
  • alabama dog shirt
  • his and hers wall hooks
  • piano keyboard scarf

You'll need to focus your attention on link building and ranking for better keywords, which has a lot to do with anchor texts.

If you need help or professional advice, I've been doing SEO for 6 years and I have some great tools that no SEO "app" can give you. 

Shopify SEO

We're a Shopify Partner, consultant, and developer. We've been in the ecommerce business since 2007! Visit https://nwconversionteam.com to see how we can help you business grow.
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi

This makes interasting reading Collette you are not alone with your difficulties indexing/ getting traffic to the site. We are having the same problem with our website www.designedbysoriska.com  the only traffic that we are generating is paied traffic. Any feedback would be welcome. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 1

Even if you do not have a vast amount of information or skill towards SEO, you can still make your Shopify store stand out with good results. All Shopify themes have "built in" SEO settings which you have to take advantage of. At least make sure your lisitings have meta titles, descriptions, alt tags, etc. It is very important that you find the targeted keywords in your niche and optimize that into your store. Do not over do the keywords. Make it "natural". I'm by no means an expert, I learn every single day and my site is imporiving everyday. Most of the time you won't see results right away, it does take time. Google looks at your websites maturity status. Competion is feirce but be persistance. :)

0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 1

I almost forgot..... how do customers reach out to you? I do not see a "contact us" page, email, or any phone numbers? You would be supised of how many visitors that stop by on yyour site and have questions but they can't ask them due to contacing issues. I hope this helps. Cheers!

0 Likes
5 0 0

Thank you Michael Fox. I am learning a lot from the advice of others. We have purchased a domain but it is being used on another website that links the customer back to Shopify checkout. I am trying to work on the SEO but it's a little tricky for me. We also have a physical store with long hours. So I realized that it's going to take me a while to get everything in place. I really appreciate all the help! Hopefully I can get everything straightened out soon.

0 Likes