What are product "Tags" used for

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 2 3

So, I called in to shopify on Friday and spoke with a shopify guru for some assistance on issues I was having with my site. While I had her on the phone I asked here what the product tags were used for beyond assigning to a collection or an attribute. I asked if they were used to help with the website search and where else they might be used.

Unfortunately, she could not offer me any clarification. So on Sunday I spent the day watching compass videos since the entire clan was out of town and did not see anything that said anything about how to maximize benefit and use of the product tag labels. It might be their, but after 5 hours of watching and stuff I came away with some great notes, but no explanation on what these tags are used for and how to get the most out of them.

So....can someone please explain how product tags are used and most importantly, do they improve your internal search.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 2 3

This is an accepted solution.

We use tags also for importing product-related text to the product page and for apps like adding labels to products and for upselling and adding extra fields to the products. Colour tagging is one way to use them, so customers can sort products by colour.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 2 3

Thanks so much for the added detail on that. I did a test using a word that was not in any of my products and showed "no search results". I added it as a tag to a product and the product came up. So, that was a ton of help as I am wanting to improve internal search and to that I need to properly use the tags for various items. 

Good stuff!

0 Likes