What causes these odd repeat “visitors” to our site?

Highlighted
2 0 1

We are a very small chocolate company and sell our bars only online.  We have had 1,000 visitors to our site in the 7 weeks since we opened which is great!  For the last 10 days we get 3 “visitors” at the same time from the same place... Council Bluffs Iowa - which is no where near us.  Always 3... always at the exact same time.  It seems like some type of robot that’s logging in each day from 3 different addresses.  Anyone have any ideas if we should be concerned?  Is it some type of bot?

thanks!

Erin

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 5

I’ve noticed the exact same thing with my store. Almost every day for the last few weeks I’ve been getting views from Council Bluffs IA. 
I assume it’s some sort of bot as well, but I’m not sure why...

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Must be another bot, like "Boardman Oregon" from a few months back: 

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Unnatural-Direct-Traffic-Ghost-spam-or-something-...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 15

I'm having the same creepy 3 visits from Council Bluffs every day. I'm afraid this is some sort of spyware or something... creepy!

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Do you guys use Google ads ? Because Google has their data centre in Council Bluffs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I've been getting the same 3 hits each day from a site in Council Bluffs too, I'm not even in the US so it's a bit strange to see this. The hits are coming at random times but landing on the same 3 pages each day, a product page, a collection page and my homepage.

Nothing ever comes of it so I am pretty sure it's harmless, but it has definitely piqued my curiosity. It's highly likely to be a bot, I am very curious now as to what for?

The only issues I have had to date is with spammers getting my email address from the contact page so I turned it into a web-form and removed my email address, bots do leave occasional messages but it's nowhere near as frequent and annoying as being put on an email list. Other times an SEO "genius" will run my site through an SEO analyser and send me the results and a spiel trying to sell me their marketing services. I can tell what is happening with those, the Council Bluffs hits on the other hand are perplexing.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This is most likely googles site crawler, I think their server is in Council Bluffs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I also have the same issue. It used to the bot from Boardman, Oregon and now it is from Council Bluff, IA. I have also noticed creation of two fake customer accounts.

0 Likes