What does "Compare At Price" mean to you???

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 10

When I go to a store and see "Compare At" on the tag... especially at clothing stores... I take that to mean what that item sells for at OTHER stores.

On Shopify... it seems to mean that that was our old price. I simply don't understand that reasoning! 

I think it should be referring to either the list price or the price that other retailers sell it for. When I put a price in the "Price" box during product entry, that's the price... not a sale price, and that's the way Shopify sees it since it displays a "Sale" icon on my page whenever I have an item listed with a "Compare At Price".

Can someone please explain this to me??

Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
338 0 56

Hi there,

"Compare At Price" simply means the price it would originally sell for. So if you're selling it for $25 on sale, and it's typically $30, you would put the $30 as the "Compare At Price".

The "Compare At Price" always has to be higher than the actual price you're selling for, or else it won't show. Most themes will show the "Compare At Price" with a slash through it and lots of them will show a "sale badge" on the product in the collection listing page if there is a "Compare At Price" listed.

Cheers! :)

Alicia | Support Lead for Shopify
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 10

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever! My point is still the same... Compare At Price is not our original price... It means what other retailers are selling it for or the list price!

Where is the box to put in "List Price"? "MSRP"? Anything else... to show a customer what the savings are over other retailers or what the List Price is! This is a basic function of any online retail site and I can't believe that a platform such as Shopify has this completely omitted and reasons it out with a viewpoint that doesn't benefit the retailer!

Frustrated is an understatement at this point!

Highlighted
1 0 3

My friend,

I suggest that you relax and look at it this way -

The list prices or retail value of any product is what is usually referred to as (Compare at Price), and your price can either match that price or if you wish to discount it for your shoppers then you can by lowering it.

So, let us say that you product x has a standard retail price of 50 (put that as compared to), and now discount it by marking it at 39.99 - this way your shoppers know that the average price for item x is 10 dollars more expensive than what you have it listed for.

Now, I do see your point, but hardly any store online would go through the hassle of doing your so called basic function, because there is no 100% accurate method to determine the exact retail list price for any item - there are thousands if not million of products listed with exact features for you to determine an accurate average, and shoppers know that.

Cheers

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi, I'm new to the business.  I was curious and here is what it looks like in my store: myradiantface, my store is always a work in progress.Compared_at_Price_Example_01.14.20.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
57 0 2

Yup, $166.99 is the compare at price and $124.99 is the sale price.

A 1 second decrease in load speed can increase conversions by 1% – 7%. Get your store optimized by a Shopify expert
0 Likes