What happens to existing customers if I disable customer accounts?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello,

I want to disable "create customer account" section on our website. Not many people prefer to use it. However we still have some customers who created an account.

My questions are:

1-If I disable "customer accounts" will there be any loss of information from existing customers?

2- Is it possible to disable customer accounts on the website but still allowing the customers with accounts to use their accounts if they wanted?

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 37 93

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @BallonetSocks!

Karlie here from the Shopify Support Team! Great question! If you were to disable customer accounts by going into your Shopify Admin> Settings> Checkout and selecting, 'Accounts are disabled' - then all of your customer information in your Admin will stay as is. However, once you disable customer accounts by using this method there is no way for customers to still use their customer accounts. Once you choose 'Accounts are disabled,' customers will only be able to check out as guests. You can read more about disabling customer accounts, here, if you're curious! 

If you would like to allow your current customers to check out with their customer account information, but you're not interested in having new customers sign up for an account then you could always choose, 'Accounts are Optional' from your Shopify Admin> Settings> Checkout section. This option would still allow current customers to use their customer accounts, new customers could still set up an account if they wanted to - but having a customer account wouldn't be mandatory when checking out. 

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like