What is a bounce rate?

Solved
chong
Excursionist
32 1 3

Hi, I've been using shopify's integrated analytics to see customer data and behaviour on my site. However, I am very confused by the bounce rate.

My site has a loading speed of 3 seconds, yet i have a 97% bounce rate and 97% of the average session duration is 0 seconds. I am currently trying to target the UK and I am shocked by these statistics?

I have another store that targets the USA and has a loading speed of 5 seconds, and my bounce rate was about 75-85 which is surprising lesser..? How does bounce rate work? Am I not getting the definition or its just a matter of USA having a better broadband infrastructure? 

Is it safe to assume an average session duration of 0 seconds means that the visitors left before the site could render? or does it mean the visitor did not interact with the site despite it being loaded and just left.

I would appreciate any advice on how these two statistics work and is calculated. Thank you

0 Likes
Olivia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
512 47 105

Hey, @chong.

Olivia here from the Shopify team. Thanks for sharing your question with us.

I'd love to help provide some insight into your question. The official definition of a bounce rate as per our Marketing Analytics blog post is:

Bounce rate:The percentage of users who visit a single page on your website and leave before taking any action. A high bounce rate (usually higher than 57%) means your site is not giving a good first impression.

Based on statistical research you have about 3 seconds, on average, to capture your audience's attention. This is the typical amount of time spent on the first landing page, at which point a customer may be intrigued enough to click through, or they leave the site.

While it's safe to say the faster a site, the better, let's look at some other statistical data from customers on what is considered 'fast':

14-06-hyg3z-fy9cn

Without taking a look at your site, we can definitely assume that you might consider improving your site speed and performance or you could be targeting the wrong audience altogether. Since you are trying to penetrate the UK market for the first time, seeing higher bounce rates may even be normal until you figure out what works for your business in conjunction with your new audience.

If you are comfortable doing so, I encourage you to share your websites with our network to get feedback from other business owners and partners.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
chong
Excursionist
32 1 3

Hi, thanks for the reply. I suspect that my ads are being targeted by click bots, or shopify analytics have some bugs going on. Take a look at the bottom picture.

Capture.JPG

Add to cart with an average session duration of 0 seconds. What do you think about this?

0 Likes
Olivia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
512 47 105

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for your reply, @chong.

While there are no reports of bugs in Shopify Analytics, it is possible that your site is experiencing bot traffic. It's very difficult to make that assumption based on that screenshot and little context, but I did find this app you might find particularly helpful for your situation:

They have diverse offerings, including:

1. Session recordings
  2. Live views
  3. Dynamic heatmaps

This can provide a lot of insight into customer behaviour on your site, and give you insight you may not otherwise have. 

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes