What is the future of online retail?

11 0 0

Hello All,

I am in the process of launching an online boutique specializing in women's apparel. I am currently in the prelaunch phase of my business. Over the last month I have been networking with people at fashion events and in everyday passing telling them about my future store and passing out cards along with posting information about my future store on social media sites. The goal with my pre launch campaign is to gain as many email subscribers as possible before my actual site launches.

Well what I am doing isn't working. The only email subscriptions that I have are from my family members.

With the market being saturated with online stores popping up everyday, I am having a hard time reeling customers in. I need a strong niche. I want to fill the gap that isn't being fullfilled by my competitors. 

What is the future of online retail? How do you think online retailer are going to start servicing their customers?

My prelaunch site is www.shopoll.com.

Looking forward to your responses.

Kind Regards,

Latryce Jackson

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 12

Hi Latryce!

I think I'm in "quote shopify blogs" mode tonight, because Shopify wrote the perfect blog to address this:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/13869029-6-practical-and-proven-ways-to-drive-traffic-to-your-new-onlin...

I've been really excited to read it and hope it's helpful for you too!

Cheers,

Danielle

“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.” - John Muir
1 Like
Excursionist
107 0 4

lol ok little erie.   I had somehow opened that page, I think a link in an email from Shopify and was going to wait and read it while I had more time this evening with a drink in hand. ;)

Then I look and look on the 30+ windows I have and uggg I must have closed it and can NOT find it.  Then I read your post and click the link and . . .    mmmm this drink is tasting even better thanks Danielle!

BTW have you been online working since this AM when we messaged?   I hope so then I am not the onlye weirdo lol

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 12

MP, lol, I am always online and always working! :)

I filled a handful of orders, had a couple meetings, and then got back on the forums. I realized that this is a great way to meet my need of helping people and also get some answers in return! (I opened a thread requesting feedback on my site because... christmas. eek!)

Glad I could be helpful! I swear, the shopify blog is my favoritest. How are they so consistently awesome?

“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.” - John Muir
1 Like
Excursionist
107 0 4

Yes for SURE!   I know I should take my own advice :)   I think you should put up a pic of you and your husband from your webiste.   I just noticed today that people with pics on here really stand out.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

@Latryce. Offline networking is the slow way to build a website but of course do it when you can. You never know who you will meet! If you are selling direct to end customer then you need to develop a strong marketing strategy. The company that can generate the most traffic/conversions wins. If you don't have the online marketing figured out then you cannot succeed with an ecommerce store. But don't worry you can find free training on youtube for facebook advertising (how to add the pixels) and so on.

Old vs. New

Direct Mail – Email

Networking – Facebook

TV – YouTube

Radio – Podcast

Newspaper – Blogs

Old is ok. New is FASTER.

Start leveraging free social media and creating content. You can generate traffic to your site simply by posting photos of your products. Of course you need to make them 'compelling' to make people want to buy it. 

Many people sell clothing via Facebook with sponsored ads as their sole source of traffic. The great thing about it is you don't need a huge budget. I would recommend taking a course on Facebook marketing first of all as it is a bit harder to find someone to outsource Facebook marketing to than say Adwords. If you do Adwords/Google marketing then you will want to try Google Shopping ads. 

Amazon PPC generates reliable results BUT if your website and landing pages are NOT geared for high conversions then you will be throwing a lot of money away. 

Sooo if you do happen to look into Facebook ads you can play around with the audience insights tool and then go into the power editor and create some ads that are served to people with interests that are shared with your IDEAL target market. But yeah, definitely either take a paid course or watch some youtube videos.

There are some people who have just 1 landing page for e.g. a FREE plus shipping offer. So even if your main item is a $60 dress, you can create a Facebook ad that sells a low cost item that you can buy for 30 cents and just have the customer pay shipping e.g. $2.95 (survivallife.com does this with their credit card knife/tool). In your case you can offer something like a pendant that goes onto the dress or waist ribbon etc... The idea behind this is you will have some people take you up on the offer and that helps to cover some of the cost of the Ad, gets you the customers email (for future marketing), and lets you 'pixel' them with retargeting pixels, and - if you are lucky, you may even get some sales for your main products either right away or after they receive the initial 'free' offer and trust you enough to make a bigger purchase in the future. If you do the follow up correctly you can create incentives to compel customers to want to bring their friends and so forth... So much you can do! Don't give up. Keep searching for answers and you will find them.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

@Latryce. Offline networking is the slow way to build a website but of course do it when you can. You never know who you will meet! If you are selling direct to end customer then you need to develop a strong marketing strategy. The company that can generate the most traffic/conversions wins. If you don't have the online marketing figured out then you cannot succeed with an ecommerce store. But don't worry you can find free training on youtube for facebook advertising (how to add the pixels) and so on.

Old vs. New

Direct Mail – Email

Networking – Facebook

TV – YouTube

Radio – Podcast

Newspaper – Blogs

Old is ok. New is FASTER.

Start leveraging free social media and creating content. You can generate traffic to your site simply by posting photos of your products. Of course you need to make them 'compelling' to make people want to buy it. 

Many people sell clothing via Facebook with sponsored ads as their sole source of traffic. The great thing about it is you don't need a huge budget. I would recommend taking a course on Facebook marketing first of all as it is a bit harder to find someone to outsource Facebook marketing to than say Adwords. If you do Adwords/Google marketing then you will want to try Google Shopping ads. 

Amazon PPC generates reliable results BUT if your website and landing pages are NOT geared for high conversions then you will be throwing a lot of money away. 

Sooo if you do happen to look into Facebook ads you can play around with the audience insights tool and then go into the power editor and create some ads that are served to people with interests that are shared with your IDEAL target market. But yeah, definitely either take a paid course or watch some youtube videos.

There are some people who have just 1 landing page for e.g. a FREE plus shipping offer. So even if your main item is a $60 dress, you can create a Facebook ad that sells a low cost item that you can buy for 30 cents and just have the customer pay shipping e.g. $2.95 (survivallife.com does this with their credit card knife/tool). In your case you can offer something like a pendant that goes onto the dress or waist ribbon etc... The idea behind this is you will have some people take you up on the offer and that helps to cover some of the cost of the Ad, gets you the customers email (for future marketing), and lets you 'pixel' them with retargeting pixels, and - if you are lucky, you may even get some sales for your main products either right away or after they receive the initial 'free' offer and trust you enough to make a bigger purchase in the future. If you do the follow up correctly you can create incentives to compel customers to want to bring their friends and so forth... So much you can do! Don't give up. Keep searching for answers and you will find them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 6

Starting your own brand is usually the right way to go when it comes to shoes and clothing. However you cannot rely on an online business 100%. Its always good to have a brick and mortar location to help you turn inventory. Selling online is a good when you are an established brand and should be considered a secondary objective. We have been selling our brand Heels for 7 years at our store, been only online for 1 year and traffic is BARELY starting to pick up. There would be absolutly no way that my business would survive solely based on online sales.

www.angelinavoloshina.com

0 Likes
Excursionist
56 0 14

In my humble opinion starting your own brand versus leveraging the brand awareness of known brands when you are first starting out would be close to impossible. Nobody is searching for "insert your new brand" online. And starting a brand is one of the hardest things to do in fashion, the market is oversaturated with people trying to do this, and always will be. 

Versus say taking a known brand that people are already looking for, doing an adwords or retargeting campaign you can quickly get sales for this brand from people who are already looking for it!

And again in my humble opinion brick and mortar is going to become less and less popular as the new generation gets more used to shopping online and Amazon has drones delivering your order an hour after purchase!

Devon

www.bikiniluxe.com - Designer Activewear | Bikinis | Resortwear

Visit our Luxury Bikini and Women's Fashion Website, Featuring many highly sought after and limited edition pieces from around the world! http://www.bikiniluxe.com
0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 12

But what about BetaBrand? I think they're doing a fantastic example of introducing a stunningly awesome new clothing company with their own brand, and using a brilliant array of marketing techniques to promote it. They came out of nowhere, and now they're very popular.

2 Likes