What on earth do i do now?

3 0 0

Ok, your glasses a crazy cool and I just ordered a pair! Can't wait. Facebook is definitely NOT your audience. IG is! I would save my FB ad money and gift some product to micro influencers. Especially men. I had a pair of vintage inspired wood toned sunnies and people went nuts over them on IG. Start with men and and then women. By micro influencers I mean 3-5K followers. choose men in style and vintage markets.

Also, on my mac/chrome browser, your brand logos are overlapping with your sale icons. you may need to fix that. Looks messy and confusing.

Last, you don't offer Paypal. I know it's an extra charge but some people will not purchase online without Paypal. write off the costs.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Yes Sandra! Yes!

IG influencers are starting to become an effective method to avertise products.

Send products to them, or simply pay for them to keep a post up for 24 hours which links back to you IG page, and youre able to keep ONE link in your bio.

best of luck.

0 Likes
Excursionist
10 0 10

Hi James,

Congats on the store concept, it looks amazing! And congrats on your first sale! One sale for every 35-40 views is pretty good, so you just ned to sustain today's result for now.

I opened a Shopify site in late 2016 selling my own designed high-end silk printed goods- luxury pillows, women’s clothing and scarves. I’ve made around 340 Shopify sales, averaging at around $80 per sale.

Social stats wise: I have 13.2 K Instagram Followers, 1.2 FB likes, 8K Twitter Followers. My followers engage at a rate of around 500-800 total likes per day. Out of that we see around  couple of sales per day on average, up to 20 sales daily when there’s a new product or offer. 

• You are going to need several thousand social media followers to start being able to track any kind of conversion from social media.
  • Build a ton of blogs and social media presence BEFORE you launch your site to press and social media influencers. At the moment when I click your Instagram it does not exist. It needs to.
  • There are no magic beans PR and marketing wise- just experiment and try a lot of things with your specific ideal customer in mind.
  • Design a sales journey that you want your customer to go on- like a flow chart with the key stages- first mailer- first discount, mailer triggers, etc.
  • Your product looks like it would be better on Instagram than Facebook in my opinion.
  • The most important thing you can use is your ideal customer’s story. Get inside their head. If you fail to do that, no ad or marketing strategy is going to work.
  • Social media has to be VERY social. Yes, it's time consuming. Treat it as an invitation into your wonderful world. Learn to enjoy it. I firmly believe that in the early days YOU need to manage it to get to know your customer. Sent up Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest at least. Find out what works for you.
  • Never buy followers on any social platform. You can get shut down for it, period.
  • Grow your email mailing list in every possible way, through every possible channel- it is very powerful tool. More powerful than I knew.
  • Once you reach about 1K followers, run an Instagram loop contest (to give away a watch) with like minded, non competition brands who have a bigger following than you do.
  • Accept that your target customer might not be wealthy. Although I sell a premium priced product, my customer is not wealthy, she is aspirational, a conscious consumer and wants something different and beautiful. Sustainability is her secondary consideration. She wants to look and feel good first and foremost.
  • You can target your ideal customer quite easily on Facebook. Try it before you spend on adwords.
  • You'll get a lot out of reading "Business For Punks" by James Watt- co Founder of Brewdog.
  • Watch the free Youtube videos from James Cook- “Story Matters”.  Start with “Why Nobody Cares about Your Start Up”
  • Be committed at every moment to your customer. They are the answer, not the obstacle.
  • Only spend on ads when you’ve done all that stuff.

Good luck!

Ali

Age of Reason Studios

http://www.age-of-reason-studios.com

0 Likes
2 0 0

I'm in the exact situation!  I love your product by the the way! Impressive! I spent so much time and money the last 2 years starting a business with a superior product/supplement that I knew would be successful.  However after about a week I haven't sold hardly anything despite numerous ads on Facebook and instagram and 1000 visits to my website.  The previous posts were great information and i'll use the advice,  but if anyone has any advice specifically for http://www.nightrevive.com/ that would be awesome!  I'm an emergency physician who created a blend of antioxidants, herbs, amino acids, vitamins and minerals to not only keep shift and night shift workers focused and energized through their shift, but also to protect us long term against the inevitable future health risks that come with shift work and the resulting chronic sleep deprivation.  Research shows that shift work carries the same health risks as smoking!  So I researched supplements that would mitigate those effects and put it into a stick pack for a drink called NightRevive.  Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

NightRevive - Your product would be best advertised on Instagram - I would find top influencers that are in this type of niche - send them a few samples and either instruct them to take a photo with the product or have them create a short testimonial on why they love the product via Instagram Storys. 

Professional influencers tend to already have a method of selling products to their fans. 

You can also check their bio and nsee if you can simply pay them to post a photo of your product, which would link back to your profile for people to follow you and click on your biolink to your store. 

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi - I tend to be very direct so please try to use my advice without getting your feelings hurt. 

My personal experience: 20 plus years in retail; 3 plus years working for Fossil watches

1) Watches are a very personal item. It is something that tells the world who you are. It isn't a purchase made lightly. It is not a impulse buy like other consumer products

2) Wood is a "weird" material to find in a watch.  It is counter intuitive to the traditional options of metal, fabric, ceramic or leather. There are too many questions in the mind of the purchaser. And because it an expensive item at $75, there is a very high resistance to this item.  That means you have to convince them 3 times as much that this is the watch for them and you have to do it on a screen. Watches are much easier to sell face to face because questions can be answered immediately. 

3) Watches are a gift item. Most are purchased at Christmas.  There are trickles of sales around graduation and back to school. But Christmas is the money maker

4) Your traffic expectations are way way way off. You need to assume you will make 1 sale with every 300 visits. You have an item that has high competition and the wood makes it a tougher sale

5) everyone thinks Facebook is a money making machine.  It is not. Perhaps 3 years ago but not today. 

6) You should budget a minimum of $300 in ad spend per month to get any traction. 

7) You need to get up and running on Pinterest.  The Shopify integration is pretty amazing in my opinion. But it takes time and energy. Your item is a gift item and people pin gift ideas all the time

8) You need to look into Google shopping ads along side your Facebook ads or in place of those ads. It isn't an easy setup like Facebook but it means you are on Google so it is completely worth the effort. 

9) You really need to sit down and decide if online selling is really worth your time, effort and money. It is hard work and it takes time to start making any money.  You need to expect that you will lose money or break even for the first 6 months or year. 

10) Stay away from anyone who "sells" you their easy strategy of making big and fast money with online sales. There is a high probability that they are not giving you a complete picture. 

11) If you do any research on opening a small business, it will tell you not to expect to be profitable for at least two years. You need to look at your financial plan and decide if you should cut your losses now and move on and do something else. Or figure out how much you are willing to lose and for how long. 

Good luck.  As I said, I am direct. While you may be upset about what I have written, perhaps after several days you can look at the list with a less emotional response and analyze the situation you are in and create a plan to move forward --- and that might mean stepping back for awhile or closing shop entirely. 

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

Nightrevive- This is a very competitive market.  It is the type of product that needs a lot of explanation and "proof".

Contact beauty / mom bloggers and pay them to try the products and write a review. Readers have trust in the blogger which will sell you item for you. 

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 2

I don’t mean to rail against FB and social media advertising but this is a great example of how it can be completely useless and counterproductive to ecommerce.  With all the money you are spending on ads you could be investing that money into content that will drive organic traffic (the best traffic for conversion) to your site.  A simple site search of your site shows that you only show up in Bing with your front page. I could not find you in Google. So all the money you spend on FB ads and you have no rank and no sales. If you are paying $5 per day for FB ads this is a complete waste considering that you could purchase a blog or page of content that is over 1000 words that will go into search engines and create more opportunity for organic growth.  If you spent this same amount every month on blogs this would begin raising your traffic and give you more sharable content. 

Vincent Triola
1 Like
1 0 0

I can offer my services and guarantee you will start earning and start getting some decent orders and traffic

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Just went back and looked at your sight again

Get rid of the cheap, roadside gas station wooden accessories ASAP. It makes no sense. You are trying to sell an expensive watch and it is "placed" next to garbagey beads.  It makes the customer question the quality of the watches and makes him wonder why they are so expensive compared to the bracelets.  You are shooting yourself in the foot. 

They are two completely different customers. You will need to sell 20 times as many bracelets for one watch. Complete waste of time and effort

0 Likes