What's the best way to identify products that are not selling?

Highlighted
Excursionist
58 0 4

I want to trim down the number of items in my shop.  Whats the best way of identifying the ones that arent selling?

I can do a sales report by product to idetify top sellers, but it desnt point out the ones not selling at all.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 1

Hello There, 

Samantha here from the Shopify Guru team.

This is a great question, and there are a couple ways to go about this!

The first thing I thought of was to try exporting your products and orders from your store and comparing the list. If there are items in the products list that are not in the orders list, these are products that are not selling.

For example if you wanted to look at the past 6 months of sales to determine which products are no longer selling you can open Orders from the Admin and:
* Click Export at the top right hand side of the page.
* In the window that opens choose to export Orders by date.
* Select the date range for the sales you want to look at.
* Make sure that 'CSV for Excel, Numbers, or other spreadsheet programs' is selected.
* Click on Export orders.

Next we want to head over to Products from the admin and:
* Click export at the top right hand side of the page.
* In the window that opens choose to export All products.
* Make sure that 'CSV for Excel, Numbers, or other spreadsheet programs' is selected.
* Click on Export products.

Once you have both files exported you can open them up and begin to compare and see which products are not selling.

Another option is to try out some of the apps like Data Export that allow you to create custom reports. This app has a 15 day free trial so you can try it out and see if it will allow you to create a report that covers all the information you are looking for. 

Hope these suggestions help - Happy selling!
Samantha

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
660 0 102

Why don't you sort the 'Sales report by product' by ascending sales?

Otherwise, you can try the app BetterReports.

It includes a couple of reports that would help you with that.

'Sales by product' can be sorted by total sales to show you the list of worst to best performers.

Similarly, you can use 'Monthly sales by product' if you want to identify the worst performer for each month.

There are also similar reports to look at variants instead of products...

I hope that helps...

ps: I own this app

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Clement. I've just downloaded BetterReports to try and identify my zero sellers but still it seems like I'm only seeing the low selling products in the report, not ones that haven't sold at all. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! 

0 Likes