What's the difference between "Shipment out for delivery" and "Shipping confirmation" notifications?

Shopify Partner
15 0 7

For Shipping Confirmation it says

Sent automatically to the customer when their order is fulfilled (if you select this option).

So does "fulfilled" mean that the products have just been packaged and shipped?

and for Shipment out for delivery it says 

Sent automatically to the customer after the status of their fulfillment changes to out for delivery

If "fulfilled" means that the products have been packaged and shipped then what does "out for delivery" mean? I mean, isn't the package already out for delivery at that point? Kind of confusing.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
47 0 8

Hey Adam! 

Alex here from the Shopify Support team - great question. 

These notifications are designed to sync with the tracking information added to the order - if you don't add tracking information and just mark the order as fulfilled, only the first notification will be sent. 

If you add a tracking number to the order from your Shopify admin, your customer will receive updates as the carrier updates the status of the shipment. If you'd like to disable the Shipment Out for Delivery and Shipment Delivered notifications, reach out to our support team and we can help you out on our end. These are the only notifications that can be disabled on our Shopify plans. 

I hope this helps clarify! Please feel free to follow up here with any other questions. 

Alex | Support

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 7

Hey Alex,

Thanks for responding but you didn't fully answer my question. I also have a few questions with in the post body.

I still don't understand the difference between these two notification types. They sound very familiar and the terminiology "fulfilled" and "out for delivery" are not clearly defined which causes the confusion.

0 Likes