What's the process for selecting which products to list?

Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 1

We've landed a new supplier and I have access to their entire catalog of products.

I'm curious to know how other store owners select products to sell. We are working on a dropship basis.

My selection process is as follows:

I ask myself:

Which are the items that are appropriate for our brand?

Which are the top-selling items?

Which product categories are we anxious to fill? (Example: we have very few tabletop accessories)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
663 51 115

Hello, @drooza!

Karlie here from the Shopify Support Team! This is an excellent question, I'm sure you'll be able to grab some valuable feedback from other merchants who are using the Shopify platform. I thought I would step in here and offer you some resources that can help you choose which products to sell and how to find what type of product will benefit your business. 

You can check out this guide to help you figure out what type of product to sell or you can choose a product based on one of these methods:

• Basing your product on market trend outcomes
    • You can research different market trends to see if selling a trendier product is worth it. Focusing on a trendier type of product requires you to change your product line more frequently, but could also make you more money depending on the products you sell
  • Selling a unique, more rare product
    • You can choose a product that is usually harder for customers to find and create more of a product niche
  • You can base your product on a specific demographic
    • You can research different demographics to see what type of products different people are using, then base those trends around what type of product to sell
  • Base your product around a theme
    • building your product base around a specific theme can really help strengthen your brand, it can also help you target specific demographics to sell to

Once you've figured out what type of product to sell, you're going to want to find products from the supplier that have the following aspects:

• High ratings
  • Positive reviews
  • High quality photographs/product images
  • Products that are easy to write descriptions for
  • Products that have a free shipping option

There are some blog articles that I find really helpful when considering what type of products to choose for your storefront. Be sure to check out; Find a Product to Sell: 12 Strategies for Finding Your First Profitable Product, The 17 Best Places Ecommerce Entrepreneurs Go to Find Product Ideas, and How to Choose an Ecommerce Business Model

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes