Whats the best way to do your accounting?

Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 9

Im a small business on a limited budget - but growing FAST!

I feel Im pretty good at keeping my own books but it is SO time consuming doing so, and I need to automate it and streamline it - there has to be a better way!

So far I have looked at MYOB but they dont really streamline well with PayPal and merchant fees - its more for a mortar and bricks business. I couldnt even see how to enter postage on a sale....

I have just had a look at quickbooks but Im not sure about this either. I just cant find what Im after. I want something to keep track of my sales for me, fees and be able to sync my bank account with so I can see what is coming out and what Im spending money on.

So tell me - because Im sure there is a way and you guys are doing it! What are you using? Which system is best? I like my little excel spreadsheets but as I said, I need to automate it better - this is chewing up to much precious time.

Thanks guys!

Sarah

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 9

PLUS I sell on ETSY and festivals and local markets so it has to be something that integrates with other things outside of shopify as well

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 1

Sarah,

Finally someone who is in the same boat as us!

We've been looking at Quickbooks & Xero and unfortunetely both don't sync the transaction/merchant fees UNLESS you purchase an expensive app from Shopify's App Marketplace.

We purchased Quickbooks yesterday with good hopes that Shopify's own free app would do this but unfortunetely it doesn't - same issue with Xero.

If we find a fix we'll let you know, but for now - the hunt continues! If you find anything let us know :-)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 9

Hi William thanks so much for the reply! I certainly will!

Take care and heres to manual book keeping for the mean time :/

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi - we use bench.com - it's not free ($135/mo) but it is so completely hands off, it does pull postage and merchant fees out of data from PayPal and shopify/shippo...

we have been really please with them so far.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 7

I'm going to follow this in case anything great comes up.  We also use Quickbooks, well the desktop and I am manually entering.  Need a better way.  I'm surprised to hear teh shopify app doesn't pull everything in.  Do the paid ones pull everything (namely, client info, order item, price and fees)?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

following this as well.  Good post!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

One of the best solutions for SMB in the ecommerce space is Bluelink ERP.

www.bluelinkerp.com

It has a great API and we offer a connector a two way connector between Shopify and Bluelink.

Cheers
Robin Smith

Virtual Logistics Inc.

www.virtuallogistics.ca

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

Great question. I'm in a similar sitatuion. Just signed up for Xero, but not sure how much I like it so far. If someone has better recommendations please post.

Has anyone ever combined Bench.com with Xero?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

What about Brightpearl? That has Shopify integration (pulls in orders automatically and does all the accounting).

1 Like