When an order is fraudulent but the customer insists, what needs to be done?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi everyone, I`ll give you the context.

Someone from Mexico or the USA ( I have no clue) placed an order in my shop, Shopify marked the order as fraudulent, the reason why is because he used a card which was declared as stolen.
However, on the second attempt, he used his Mastercard and the payment went successfully through, and the shipping address is in Mexico but his card in the USA, so I`ve decided to cancel it because I don`t feel it`s safe.

After 2 hours. he places another order, but with his card straight away, and the payment was successful

Now the funny part, the shipping address is from the USA, at the same time, the shipping address is 1651 miles from the location of the IP address & the email is different...

What`s going on? Anyone can help or advise what should I do?!

P.S

I`ve also seen his screen when was navigating with the "Lucky Orange",  the guys were checking around, and straight away he went into a Headset and without reading or checking it or something, he adds it to card + checkout, etc....Shall I fulfill his order?!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
433 24 69

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @NorbertDev

I would suggest going with your gut on this one. In many of these situations, you can investigate the suspicious order and see what information you can gather to help decide whether or not to fulfill the order. In this case however, due to the inconsistent cards, emails, and addresses, I would recommend cancelling and refunding those orders. If they continue to place orders, you can use the Fraud Filter app to block orders from their IP address so that they're automatically cancelled. You can find some more tips for fraud prevention here. Let me know if you have any further questions about that. Cheers! 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi @Brie , thanks for your help, I`ll cancel the order and put a restriction on their IP  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
433 24 69

@NorbertDev - 

My pleasure, sounds good! Let me know if you need any further help with it. 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes