When your Product Sells Out what do you do?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

OK, so if your product sell out, I am sure that you jump for joy, but my question is what do you do with that product listing.  

Do you delete it from your webiste knowing that it will never be restocked?

Do you put it in its own collection called sold, stolen, or gifted?

Suggestions on how to still keep track of the items that you did sell, stolen or gifted without it being a big mess on your collections/products/inventory?

Do you do an export and then delete the products?

I really appreciate your help on how to store this information

Leslie Cunningham

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I find your post very interesting. When launching a new product, companies undoubtedly have a laundry list of things they need to focus their time and resources on from design and manufacturing to sales and marketing.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
195 0 25

Hi Leslie,

The most common option is to have the product page change when you sell out (your inventory is zero). So what do I mean by change the product page? You could do some of the following:

• Display a message informing the customer the current product is out of stock
  • Hide the Add to Cart button
  • Offer the customer other similar products
  • Ask the custom for their email so you can inform them when the product in question is back in stock (This option will really help conversions)
  • Other creative options

This assumes that your sold out products will be put back in inventory. Is this the case with your products? If you peminately shed those products I might have some other suggestions for you.

Thoughs?

Cheers,

Ryan

Stop Stressing About Shopify You’ve Got Better Things To Do => https://320ny.com/shopify/
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I am also wondering the same thing. When the product sells out and we do not plan on restocking the item but want to keep track and have date for when we run reports, ROI's etc. What is the best method or place to put product so we can have accurate numbers. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
714 106 265

I keep it in the system but remove it from all the channels so it doesn't show on the store etc. That way, as you say, the sales data etc. is still there for reporting purposes. I guess you could also tag them with sold out or similar if you wanted a way of filtering them out in admin but I don't need to do this.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

That is what we are doing now. But it seems to still show under all inventory even though it is zeroed out. Does that make sense? I am afraid when running some of our reports the accuracy isn't exact because even though this item is zeroed out it is still showing as inventory even though product is completely sold out. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
714 106 265

Yes, it will still show in inventory as I supposed the product is still in your inventory even though you have 0 of them. But what I do is filter them out (of the Inventory view) by using the Availability filter i.e. Available on Online Store.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Okay, that is what we do as well. We just wanted to make sure what we were doing was not affecting our reports. I ( personally) am fairly new to Shopify and want to make sure I am using it efficiently and effectively and of course optimizing all the options that are available. 

0 Likes