Where are shop backup files kept?

Solved
Tourist
11 0 2

Curious as to where the backup files are and how to get them. GD has a very easy way to backup your theme as you work on it and get to it if you need to, but I don't see it here. Thanks in advance.

Karen

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
159 36 39

Hi @Roger17,

Dani here from Shopify. Thanks for writing in and welcome to Shopify!

There are two options to back up your theme file. The first option is to create a duplicate copy of your theme in your admin. To do this go to Online Store > Themes > Actions > Duplicate theme. This is a great option to do as well if you are making any code changes that you aren't sure about.

The second option is to download a copy of your theme file to your computer. To do this, again go to Online Store > Themes > Actions > Download theme file. This will save a zip file to your computer. You can re-upload this file at any point in the Theme section of your admin here:

I'm interested to learn more about your transition from Etsy to Shopify. Was there any particular step that you found difficult? What are you looking to achieve with Shopify that you weren't able to do with Etsy? I'd love to hear if you have any advice for any other merchants that are looking to make the migration!

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi Dani:

This is Karen, the other half of Simply.  Thanks for the info on backing up the theme.

As to your question regarding the transition from Etsy to Shopify, how long do you have? :)

We had been with Etsy since 2010 but found some of the changes they were making were not in the best interest of their sellers. Especially when it came to handmade. They were slowly allowing more and more products that clearly were manufactured and also allowing manufacturers to sell their wares. It also became saturated with products. Take a look sometime at the jewelry. Everyone began copying each others work and went so far in some cases to have it manufactured. There was no longer originality, creativity or traditional craftsmanship and everyone seemed to be offering the same thing at little to no cost. Roger and I believe in quality, value, and craftsmanship and we also offer a custom design service.

Then there was the pricing issue. Very few people seemed to know how to price their items correctly therefore someone who did rarely could sell their pieces without lowering their price to compete. We hit rock bottom when we didn't even hit our cost on an item but sold it for far less. That's when I said enough is enough.

The transition from Etsy to Shopify was a bit difficult as we are both tech-challenged but it has been an education and it was something we seriously thought over before doing it. (We just didn't realize all the apps we would have to learn too). Building a website is not an easy task especially if you buy one with all the bells and whistles yet still want to customize it.  I don't recommend making customizations to the theme unless you know how to code or are willing to pay for someone to do it as needed with each update of the theme. And make sure you are able to take great photos or you will need to hire a photographer. ( again a cost). 

If you are handcrafting your own product and you don't have a team around you to take care of emails and such, you seriously need to take into consideration all the hats you will be wearing by owning your own website and whether this is something you can do. But if you're a drop-shipper or selling merchandise that you don't create or photograph then a lot of time will be freed up.

In short, Etsy has it's benefits and pitfalls. We stayed as long as we could.  Now it's time to make a profit and God willing we will here on Shopify.

My advice to anyone thinking of it. Know your numbers and know what you want. Shopify is great at answering questions and helping you. Start with a simple theme, you can always change as you grow.  It will be more work than Etsy but as the Good Book says "To whom much is given much is required".  Hope I answered your question. Sorry for running on. :)

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
159 36 39

Hi @Roger17

Karen, wow, thank you so much for your detailed and candid response. I completely understand your frustrations when you don't feel valued by the platform. I've never used Etsy as a merchant, only a customer, but I'm saddened to hear that it no longer prioritizes handmade and vintage items!

I also understand feeling overwhelmed by starting your own website and all the hats that you end up wearing! I've found the reality is that creating a website is a never-ending lesson! I'm constantly learning new things to incorporate into my own! 

Please know that if you do need any help with the platform, our support team, as well as the community members here, are happy to help. 

Wishing you all the best!

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I am not really sure where did the backup file kept to be honest, as I leave the back-up, hosting & maintenance support to my appointed digital agency.

Really appreciated for the answer above and I may come across that in case, thanks.

Martin Turner | Digital Marketing Manager | https://www.miracles.com.hk/
0 Likes