Solved

Is my domain available after purchasing a Shopify plan?

TheJamesDawson
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there! I am just in the process of setting up my store. I spent a lot of time working on my URL domain name and I submitted it through the set-up process to make my store. 

Now that I have an account created and am looking around the backend I do not see my domain anywhere. I haven't purchased a plan yet, but my domain is listed as no longer available. 

Is this something that will resolve once I purchase my plan? I don't want to move forward with a plan if I don't have my domain name. 

Thanks, 

Accepted Solution (1)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @TheJamesDawson. Welcome to Shopify! We’re glad to have you aboard, but sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this. I’m here to help! Let me start by explaining how domains work on Shopify to see if this helps clear up any confusion, and get you the domain name you need.

The business name you use when creating an account will become the myshopify.com url for your store. For example, if your business name is entered as XYZ Company during sign up, then your Shopify domain name will be xyz-company.myshopify.com. Furthermore, to remove the dash in the Shopify url, XYZCompany would need to be entered as your business name during sign up, to give a url of xyzcompany.myshopify.com

Most merchants then choose to use a custom domain name, like xyzcompany.com for example, to cover up the myshopify.com url. You can purchase a custom domain name from a third party host, and connect it to your Shopify account following these steps. Or you can buy the custom domain from Shopify, directly from within your admin as explained here. Any custom domains connected to your store will then appear along with your myshopify.com url on your domains page in your admin found by going to ‘Online Store > Domains’.

Therefore, to better understand your situation and point you in the right direction, could you please tell me if you already purchased the custom domain name that you had been working on, from either a third party host or from Shopify? And did you connect it to your account, but you still don’t see it listed when going to ‘Online Store > Domains’?

Let me know!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @TheJamesDawson. Welcome to Shopify! We’re glad to have you aboard, but sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this. I’m here to help! Let me start by explaining how domains work on Shopify to see if this helps clear up any confusion, and get you the domain name you need.

The business name you use when creating an account will become the myshopify.com url for your store. For example, if your business name is entered as XYZ Company during sign up, then your Shopify domain name will be xyz-company.myshopify.com. Furthermore, to remove the dash in the Shopify url, XYZCompany would need to be entered as your business name during sign up, to give a url of xyzcompany.myshopify.com

Most merchants then choose to use a custom domain name, like xyzcompany.com for example, to cover up the myshopify.com url. You can purchase a custom domain name from a third party host, and connect it to your Shopify account following these steps. Or you can buy the custom domain from Shopify, directly from within your admin as explained here. Any custom domains connected to your store will then appear along with your myshopify.com url on your domains page in your admin found by going to ‘Online Store > Domains’.

Therefore, to better understand your situation and point you in the right direction, could you please tell me if you already purchased the custom domain name that you had been working on, from either a third party host or from Shopify? And did you connect it to your account, but you still don’t see it listed when going to ‘Online Store > Domains’?

Let me know!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.