Where to find emails sent to customer

Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 6

This might be a dumb question and I might be missing something very basic. I am trying to see the emails that have been sent to my customers (like order placement, shipping confirmation etc). I was hoping to see an inbox/sent items type thing somewhere in the admin panel, but could not find anything. Can someone help me find where I can see the sent emails? Thanks!

5 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 62

Hey there, 

I'm Ann, from the team here at Shopify :)

That's not a dumb question at all! So the Shopify platform doesn't actually have a spot where you can review sent emails, but you can check the timeline of each order to see what emails have been sent to each customer, to do that check out the steps on this page in our Shopify manual. Additionally, you can review what each email will say by previewing the email's template. This page will show you how to do that! 

The reason we don't have this is because, for the most part, each email will be based on the template you have set up, with the only differences being people's order details, or their address, etc. 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us here :) 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 16

It is a very good question, but an unsatisfactory answer.

It's pretty basic business practice to be able to review client communications. It is not good enough to "see the time line", especially since the time line is not up to date - it takes some time for the updates to appear.

Further more, the tempate is full of Shopify-ese. It's quite reasonable to want to see what is actually sent. And no, using the test feature doesn't cut it.

We need to see what is actually sent to real clients on our behalf.

And while I'm at it, I see people have asked to be CC'd of such emails without getting a proper reply from Shopify. Same need just expressed differently.

Kind regards,

Andy

16 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 4

This was useless (Ann's answer).

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 7

Until Shopify adds a "view email" button, this is the best solution:

Open the order admin page. 

On the right panel, click Edit next to Contact Information. Copy the user's email into a text doc for later, and type in your email address. Uncheck the box to "Update Customer Profile", and hit save. 

Now scroll down to the timeline instance, and hit resend. In the confirmation popup, you should see your email listed and not the customers. Hit send.

Grab the email address that you saved earlier from that text file, and change the customer email back to the proper one.

I haven't tested whether this is a true resend or a regeneration of the template, so I'm not sure if changes to your template between the original email and the resend will change the resend. If you test that out, do report back!  

7 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 14
The answer should be, "Sorry, all of us here at Shopify have totally dropped the ball on this and we will start on fixing it today!"
To not be able to see the communication with "our" customers from Shopify on our behalf is insanely ridiculous.
FIX YOUR MISTAKE, Shopify!!!!!
11 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 1 12

It is a pretty reasonable thing to have! And to me is something that's pretty bog-standard to have the ability to view correspondence with the customer, strangely IT doesn't always work the way you want it to, so it would be nice to see what customer's actually receive to ensure continuity and quality control. It is a bit of a CRM type issue, but something that Shopify should have.

It does seem that sometimes that questions like these go into the "too hard" basket and then you never hear from Shopify people again, which is very disappointing, if their staff are going to engage with customers in the community forum they should be following up... Support 101! 

5 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

Would be fantastic if we could also see when and if customers have opened their email correspondence - customers can often say "I never received the order confirmation" and it would be extremely beneficial to be able to look into whether they did receive and open it (which is often the case), which is something other email platforms such as Campaign Monitor etc tells us. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks MonthlyBoxer_Fu

Your workaround suggestion worked for me.  I was worried when the timeline showed that my 3PL's app sent my customer a confirmation email (the timeline wasn't clear if the app simply triggered my Shopify template, or if it used something unknown to me).  Luckily I used your suggestion to check, and it apparently did use the desired Shopify template that I have set up.

I agree with everyone else that this feature should be standard.  I use Klaviyo too, and I can see the messages sent to customers in that, including open and click stats.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 18

I want to chime in and add my voice that this is an essential feature that I am missing from Shopify.  I am in the process or transitioning from another online retailer, and I was able to review any email sent to a customer anytime with the other retailer.  It seems very basic to be able to view emails sent to customers, especially if they dispute something that you sent to them.  Shopify, please pursue this feature!

5 Likes