Which Template is best for a Fine Artist selling Prints

Solved
Highlighted

Hi everybody, I’m new here and clueless. Which “Theme” template is best for an artist? I’m not sure that I chose the correct template to sell my art. I’d really like it to be easy to navigate for people who aren’t familiar with computers.

I’ve spent the past 6-1/2 weeks uploading my painting images & info. into my Shopify template. I am truly lost and hope some kind people will help me out.

I’d like to somehow separate my collections into portfolios:

• Museum Canvas Reproductions

• Fine Art Paper Posters

• Notecards and Gifts

• Inspirational and Encouraging

I’m not sure what you need to view my “shop” because I haven’t launched live yet, but here is my link –  https://camille-engel-fine-art.myshopify.com

On the template I chose there is fake text and examples below on the home page and I can’t figure out how to personalize it. Also, I want the paintings to be large but, does this template make them too large? 

I really need guidance and appreciate any help I can get. This is taking way too long and I must get back to my easel to paint for some deadlines.

Thank you! – Camille

Camille Engel Fine Art
Passionate oil paintings with rich lighting, color and detail.
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 33 61

Hey, Camille!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

To find a theme that was created with art sales in mind, I would suggest looking through the choices in the Art & Photography section of the theme store. You can find it here. There are a few different options in that that would give you a great starting point for showcasing your work. I suggest taking a look through the demo sites to see how the theme's features can be maximized! Options like Symmetry and Minimal aren't loaded with too many complicated features. This would make them quite simple to navigate for any level of user.

To help separate your collections into the portfolios you're thinking of I would suggest looking into this tutorial for creating a page to display a subset of collections. Before making any changes to the theme code I always like to suggest duplicating your theme. You can do this by going to Online Store>Actions>Duplicate. Just in case.

I think this templates looks great, if you're happy to keep this option. I wouldn't say your images are too large. When selling art, it will help if customers can clearly see your work and all of its great detail. This option is also quite clean and easy to use. The only thing I would mention is that the sidebar menu feels a bit full. There is another option here for organizing your collections. You can create drop down menus using the portfolio names that house the collections you'd like your customers to see. This page explains how to set up those.

I wasn't able to find the fake text that you had mentioned, do you have a screenshot or link to specific page that it is on?

I know I've mentioned a few different things here, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Lizzy, You are wonderful! This is great input, and I truly appreciate it.

When I first posted this question, I was using the theme “Boundless” which made my paintings gigantic. On my iPad I was unable to see my entire painting because it filled the width of my screen.

I switched to “pop“ but there was no obvious search bar... so I switched to “simple“ which is the version you viewed... and I like it okay.

I guess I didn’t search hard enough to find the art and photography templates, I was looking at the free templates. I will go through and check around a little more before launching to the public.

Thank you again for your input and your help! 😊

https://Camille-Engel.com/shop
Password: twiklo
Camille Engel Fine Art
Passionate oil paintings with rich lighting, color and detail.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 33 61

Hey, Camille.

You're very welcome! There are a few free options in that category too. If you have any questions while looking through those themes, let me know!

Thank you

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes