Which “Theme” template is best for an artist selling canvas and poster prints?

Solved

Hi everybody, I’m new here and need help. Which “Theme” template is best for an artist? I’m not sure that I chose the correct template to sell my art. I’d really like it to be easy to navigate for people who aren’t familiar with computers.

ALSO - will all the detailed information I spend months creating transfer easily to a new template?

I’ve spent the past 6-1/2 weeks uploading my painting images & info. into my Shopify template. I am truly lost and hope some kind people will help me out.

I’d like to somehow separate my collections into portfolios:

• Museum Canvas Reproductions

• Fine Art Paper Posters

• Notecards and Gifts

• Inspirational and Encouraging

I’m not sure what you need to view my “shop” because I haven’t launched live yet, but here is my link –  https://camille-engel-fine-art.myshopify.com

The template I chose there has fake text and examples below on the home page and I can’t figure out how to personalize it. Also, I want the paintings to be large but, does this template make them too large? 

I really need guidance and appreciate any help I can get. This is taking way too long and I must get back to my easel to paint for some deadlines.

Anyone willing to Trade my art print(s) for your time?

Thank you! – Camille

Camille Engel Fine Art
Passionate oil paintings with rich lighting, color and detail.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2567 39 586

Camillle, 

we would need your storefront password from Online Store => Preferences => Password protection ( only this one, not the one you use to login to your admin!)

You may be looking to sort your products into collections (they can be Automatic, based on product type, if you've assigned it) and add links to these collections to your main menu and Action Bar menu.

To remove fake text and examples you should go to Themes =>  Customize and remove/hide (there is an eye icon) sections you're not using.

Finally, you can control the product page display -- if you set your image type to "Tall/Square" it will show two images per row and if you choose "Wide" it will be single full-bleed image. 

I've recently modified this theme to show 3 images per row on product page, or have a solution to get a more conventional product page layout (like this one)

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com! My post solved your problem? This is my Paypal too :)
1 Like

Thank you, Tim... I’m so grateful for your reply. I’m doing my best to hunt and peck and build this thing using my iPad (Broken ankle & in bed).

Twiklo is the public access password.

I have created collections which will appear in the sidebar and have created keywords for each painting so visitors can search “cardinal” or “hummingbird” or “rust” or “owl” -etc- to find all the specific paintings.

I proofread all collections yesterday & I’m good.

I originally chose “boundless” as my theme but wonder if another theme would be more suitable and if all my hard work would transfer easily to another template.

And, I set up two separate files for each painting:  • Fine Art Poster and • Museum-Quality Canvas... curious if I should set up differently. It’s weird seeing the same painting side-by-side, however, I want to thoroughly explain what customers will be receiving... so I didn’t know if I could blend the information together beneath each painting.

In your opinion, would it be better to blend the information together beneath each painting?

Still trying to figure out how to personalize the fake text below the home page image. This would be a great opportunity to showcase my most popular paintings.

Also, I’d LOVE to figure out how to reverse the order that viewers see my work – newest paintings on top descending to the oldest... current template is showing oldest to newest. (Each of my paintings has a number.) 

Grateful for your help! 

Camille Engel Fine Art
0 Likes
Highlighted

Btw - Changing the Tall/Square to Wide didn’t seem to have any effect.

Camille Engel Fine Art
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2567 39 586

Camille,

Let me start by saying that I really like your works!

The products, collections and menus you've created in your store are independent from the theme, this information will still be there if you switch the theme, just will be represented in a different way. 

And you can add several other themes to your store and configure them to see which one will fit better without affecting each other.

The default order of your collections can be changed in back-end -- go to your collection, change the sort order above the product list and save -- this will change the default order for this collection.

Product creation -- yes, you're right, seeing several similar-looking products does not work best (especially on Boundless on desktop, where you have to hover over each image to see the product title), so I'd be joining them together in one product. I'd also create a page  to explain what buyers will receive (add a couple of photos of same image as painting and as poster, explain the difference and add a couple of close-up photos -- I'd appreciate the effort if I were thinking to buy.

Now -- to Boundless.

If you have only one image per product, then yes, changing from tall to wide would not affect the product page display.  If you're adventurous, I can suggest a small edit which may help in your situation:

1. Make a backup of your theme via Actions => Duplicate

2. Get to the theme code via Actions => Edit code and find theme.scss.liquid under Assets

3. Scroll to the very bottom of the file and paste this code (difference may be not profound on iPad, though -- lessen the width to see it):

/* --tim: limit size of images and give 'em a shadow */
.product .product__photo:first-child {
    max-width: 1000px; /* change this number to control width */
    float: none;
    margin: 20px auto -10px;
    box-shadow: 10px 10px 30px 5px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);
}

Save and view.

Couple of other things:

1. When in Customizer, go to your catalog /collection page and under "Collection" enable "show tag filtering" -- this will show your tags in a drop-down and will allow to filter your paintings by these tags.
While there, you may also try switching on "add spacing between images".

2. Boundless have a nice feature in the properties of the product pages -- "Skip first image". This will allow you to straighten your product grids. Since your paintings have different proportions, they occupy different space on collection page making the grid uneven/bad looking. This option allows you to add an extra image to your product, which will be shown only on collection pages and crop this image so that all these first images have the same aspect ratio, say all square -- this will make your grids nice and straight.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com! My post solved your problem? This is my Paypal too :)
1 Like

Tim, you are wonderful! I’m a bit overwhelmed... but am reviewing it all. Thank you!

I think I will play around with other themes, thank you for your assurance.

Camille Engel Fine Art
0 Likes

I am playing with different themes... How do I share the different themes with a few friends to get their opinion? I am able to share my “boundless” theme using the password... twiklo

Currently, I have each painting separated into two different options: Museum Canvas and Fine Art Poster... because I originally thought I could create separate portfolios for customers to click (instead of catalog):  Canvas or Posters or Gift Items...  so now each painting currently has two images. It will take me WEEKS to transfer information from one to the other... blending the two together (Canvas & Poster) into one photo because I must type it all in personally. I did it on painting #004 “Trumpeting the Morning Sun” so I could see what it looked like.  I wish there was a way to “retrieve” variant information from one product to another.

The “Pop” theme or the “Simple” theme creates captions beneath the photos. It might be a quicker solution to switch to one of these themes... so I don’t have to go through and re-type hundreds of variants.

Camille Engel Fine Art
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Partner
2567 39 586

Sure you can share the theme preview -- there are 2 ways:

1. Click Actions next to the theme in question and right-click the "preview", then select "copy link location" from the browser menu.

2. Click actions and click preview -- the system will open this theme preview in a separate window. At the bottom there will be a preview bar with a blue "Share preview" button. click it and then click "copy link" button.

Now, when the link is in your clipboard, you can paste it in e-mail.

One point though -- you're not limited to having only "Catalog" in Action bar -- you can add other links there, so you can still follow your original idea. Just check in the properties of the Action Bar, which menu it uses and edit this menu under Online Store => Navigation.

1 Like

Wonderful news! I just switched my theme from “boundless” to “simple” and it’s working better for me. Now I’m going to review all of your helpful tips and apply them. GREAT NEWS that I can add more than “catalog” in the action bar... i’m Going to figure it all out now.  You are terrific!!! Thanks!

Camille Engel Fine Art
0 Likes