Wholesale Order - Pending now but accept Shopify Payment Later?

Explorer
44 0 18

We're fairly new to Shopify and are partially using it to process wholesale orders manually.  Some of our customers are Net 30 and that presents a problem when the customer wants to pay later with a credit card.  For these orders, our workflow is this: create a draft order, mark it as pending so it is now an order, mark the order as fulfilled.  Then the order is considered Fullfilled and Unpaid.  This works fine when the customer wants to pay with a check - we just mark the order as Paid when we receive that payment outside of Shopify.  BUT, if the customer wants to pay later with a credit card, we can no longer process a Shopify payment for that order.  So what is the best way to manually accomplish this?  Create another order solely for paying the past order using a Custom Item for the net amount?  Would Shopify see this as double the revenue?

Obviously the typical wholesale workflow was not considered by Shopify when designing the flow of orders.  It is backwards right now since we cannot first fulfill the order then accept payment later.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hello Andrew,

I had a similar issue (needed to allow Customers to complete their order, but bill them later in case they return some items), and Shopify support instructed me to try DeferPay. Has anybody else used this? It seems promising as long as it authorizes a transaction and doesn't require customers to log in at a later time to enter their payment info.

Curious if there are any other options out there, as I have not used this service yet and I am still doing research.

Cheers,

0 Likes
Explorer
44 0 18

DeferPay looks good but requires using Stripe. We need to be able to charge through Shopify payments. I talked to Shopify support about this today and their "solution" is to cancel the order and create a new one. That is pretty much a non-solution in my opinion. All of the apps out there (Editify, Orderify, etc) can help automate this process by copying the existing order to a new order, but they still cancel one order and create a new one behind the scenes. From some of the reviews I read, this can really mess up revenue numbers. 

Shopify really needs to address this issue instead of sending customers to apps that half solve the problem. 

0 Likes
2 0 0

I'm experiencing the same issue/need the option to process CC payments after marking orders as pending. A workaround I haven't yet tried (but will shortly) is using Quickbooks invoicing, which allows for both check and CC payment. I believe this will allow us to invoice customers who have net 30 terms and allow for payment processing either via check or electronically once due. Once paid, we can then mark as "Paid" in Shopify. It's not perfect since it's an extra step, but could be a reasonable solution. Why do you say you absolutely need to process via Shopify payments?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
44 0 18

What we do is mark the original order as Pending then create a second order for the purpose of being able to charge the customers credit card for the original order.  We add a Custom Item that says something like "CC payment for invoice 1234" with the price being the original invoice total.  Then we mark the original invoice as Paid.  This is confusing for customers since they end up with two invoices and the related notifications, but it is a viable work-around.  I really wish Shopify would create a decent "collect payment later" workflow.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Interesting. Does this cause any issues (e.g. double counting) with sales totals?

0 Likes
Explorer
44 0 18

Yes, Shopify shows the revenue twice in Analytics.  But your accounting system will accurately reflect the single payment receipt.

0 Likes