Solved

Why Am I Getting a Shop Pay Code text when I was not making a purchase on any website

clupper
Visitor
1 0 1

I just created a Shopify account to ask this question because there was no other way to reach out to Shopify. I wanted to send an e-mail or call someone. I hate chatting on websites but for this, I would have done it, but it wasn't an option.  So again,  I just got two texts giving me the same Shop Pay Code. Is someone trying to commit fraud at some "store" that I have a login for? I was not purchasing anything at that time and yet I got this text twice. I want to find out why I got it. Can someone from Shopify reach out to me?  

Accepted Solution (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

This is an accepted solution.

@Cherryz426 @Matt78209 

If you are using the proper format and it is showing as an invalid number then please reach out to our Support so they can collect your information to have this reviewed. 

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 23 (23)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hi, @clupper

Great question! It's a fairly common occurrence that someone accidentally enters in the wrong information when setting up Shop Pay. All it takes is hitting one number incorrectly to have the confirmation texts sent to the wrong number. I can assure you that it is not someone trying to process a fraudulent order, but rather someone trying to utilize a quick, and efficient feature that allows them to check out on Shopify stores within seconds.

I'd welcome you to learn more about Shop Pay here as it does provide benefits to you as a consumer if you shop online! That said, as your number was entered in by accident by someone else, you can use our opt-out form here to remove your number from our system until you're ready to set it up in the future. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

happyelf
Visitor
1 0 1

I have the same issue - 2 texts within the last week, not related to any shopping I am doing. When I went to the page you linked to to "opt out" my phone number, it kept giving me an error that it was not a valid mobile number, which it 100% is. I tried several different formats - just numbers, 1+numbers, 1+numbers separated by "-"s, etc - nothing works. In addition, I don't think it makes sense for me to opt out my number when I do legitimately shop at places that use this system with my mobile number for verification. Please help.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@happyelf 

That sounds frustrating. It's hard to say why that would be happening; however, I can speculate. 

Sounds like another buyer may have your phone number on their profile - If you use Shop Pay though, this may be because another friend/family member could be going to checkout and your email and/or phone number is auto-filling. 

In reference to the format, try inputting your phone number in the following format: +1##########. This includes the country code (1) followed by my 10 digit phone number.

tamiatmuggy
Visitor
2 0 2

I keep getting Shopify texts, also.  I tried every single version of my telephone number, with and without parentheses and dashes, with the country code, without the country code.  Could not opt out.  Was prompted to set up an account with Shopify, so now I have a Shopify account I do not want or need. 

If someone else had my telephone number associated with their account, then I'd be able to opt out with my number.   So now how do I opt out AND delete the account I didn't need in the first place?

tamiatmuggy
Visitor
2 0 2

Also, I am single and live alone and no one else uses my email or telephone number.

Asamson7966
Visitor
1 0 4

I understand it is thought that people are entering the wrong phone number to make purchases but I have had an excessive amount of code texts come to my phone when I am not in any way shopping. Some coming through at 6 am, 2 am, 10 pm. I have had 4 in two days. There is no way someone is just constantly typing the wrong number. How do I remove any information that auto fills from Shopify?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@Asamson7966 

We recently saw an influx of unsolicited SMS text messages for Shop Pay which may be the cause for your most recent texts. You can choose to opt-out of Shop Pay using your phone number.  Please note, their phone number needs to be formatted to include the '+ country code' prefix when opting out. For example, a US-based user would need to format their number as +1 234 56789.

If you wish to continue using Shop Pay for themselves, you'll just need to opt back in again with your details.

Cherryz426
Visitor
1 0 0

I have same problem three this morning ans it won’t let me opt out with my phone number 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

This is an accepted solution.

@Cherryz426 @Matt78209 

If you are using the proper format and it is showing as an invalid number then please reach out to our Support so they can collect your information to have this reviewed. 

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

TerryQ
Visitor
1 0 1

I have never had an account with Shopify until right now...had to make it to reply to this message. I keep getting Shop Pay texts as well...I feel like someone is trying to use my info, but can't because they need the code, at least, I hope they can't use my info. This is not the first time this had happened.

@Trevor wrote:

@Cherryz426 @Matt78209 

Lyds
Visitor
1 0 2

I have this same problem. I have created an account but I cannot work out how to "create a support request" - I'm just going around and around the community / support questions menu.

Liamjordan
Visitor
1 0 2

I'm having the same problem - I've received two SMS in the last week that have nothing to do with any purchasing I'm doing. When I went to the page  you linked to to "opt out" of my phone number, it kept telling me it wasn't a legitimate mobile number, when it is 100%. I tried a variety of forms, including just numbers, 1+numbers, 1+numbers split by "-"s, and so on, but none of them worked. Furthermore, I don't believe it makes sense for me to opt out of my phone number when I do genuinely purchase at locations that require this method to verify my identity. Please assist.

Matt78209
Visitor
1 0 1

I tried to opt out of the phone number but get this message: "Please enter a valid mobile phone number"

https://shop.app/pay/phone-optout

The form does not indicate what format phone number to use, but I've tried multiple formats with and without country code area code and dashes, but nothing works; and I am still getting unknown Shop Pay verification code messages. Please advise.

Matt

karsoseth
Visitor
2 0 0

@Trevor wrote:

Hi, @clupper

Great question! It's a fairly common occurrence that someone accidentally enters in the wrong information when setting up Shop Pay. All it takes is hitting one number incorrectly to have the confirmation texts sent to the wrong number. I can assure you that it is not someone trying to process a fraudulent order, but rather someone trying to utilize a quick, and efficient feature that allows them to check out on Shopify stores within seconds.

I'd welcome you to learn more about Shop Pay here as it does provide benefits to you as a consumer if you shop online! That said, as your number was entered in by accident by someone else, you can use our opt-out form here to remove your number from our system until you're ready to set it up in the future. 

Thank you for your input. 

karsoseth
Visitor
2 0 0

@karsoseth wrote:

@Trevor wrote:

Hi, @clupper

Have gone through shop features.

jsmith2793
Visitor
1 0 2

I can't even figure out how to log into my Shop Pay account.  I use it for several websites and just received a verification code text as if someone is trying to use my account to make a purchase. This seems very plausible. All they need is my email to get started. I realized they couldn't get into my Shop Pay without the code, but recently we've had some shady things happening with our phones, wifi, and social media accounts being hacked in our house, and I don't want to risk them accessing the code somehow. 

1. Is it possible to log into a general Shop Pay account (aside from logging in at checkout from a specific Shopify store)? Like a dashboard with my info stored?

2. If yes, does it show and track websites you've made purchases and/or logged in through? Like a history of account use. Klarna and After Pay have this.

If this or neither of these are available, I'd highly recommend that they be added as a Shopify feature, as this seems like an important means to protect oneself and prevent fraud.

thisnthat
Visitor
2 0 1

Okay so with in the past 30 minutes ive gottten this text 6 times one from a 833 area code number and one from a 5 digit number. Someone is trying to log into my shop pay! So I just went and deleted all of my cards from my shop pay account!!!

noeaguinaga83
Visitor
1 0 0

First of all how would they get your verification code if you are recieving the text to your phone. Secondly the area code 833 is like 800 its from some customer service  . 

thisnthat
Visitor
2 0 1
First of all.:…… that was my point. It was like someone was trying to use
my shop pay account. Lmao. But I googled it and a lot of people are having
the same issue. They said it’s scammers. But thank you.

SarahHulbert1
Visitor
2 0 0

I have received a text with a code despite not making a transaction. Finding it very difficult to get in touch with Shopify. The contact email doesn't work, and the chat is virtual so no help at all. Trying to get through to a person involves setting up an account - okay - and then setting up a shop, which I don't want to do because it's not relevant to me. I have a simple security question and would appreciate speaking to someone at Shopify to confirm if there is a problem with someone trying to commit fraud. The text is not part of the usual Shopify text thread, so I suspect scammers. 

As a customer facing business, Shopify should have an email people can access without creating an account or shop. This has been very time consuming and a waste of my time. 

Bobbin
Visitor
2 0 0

This is happening to me and i can’t navigate the page link to report this please help as i don’t think this feels right fraudulent for sure!! 

i had to creat an account to reply to this post. 

Bobbin
Visitor
2 0 0

I can’t get to the bit for live chat. Please direct me thanks

SarahHulbert1
Visitor
2 0 0
Try safety@shopify.zendesk.com or the help desk at help.shoplify.com I never got a satisfactory answer why it happened, but it looked more like an admin error than a scam in the end. Just keep an eye on your bank account. Good luck