Why am I getting duplicate products??? (And how do I remove them... Easily!)

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Hello, 

I have like 25,000 products in my store, not including the duplicates that I recently discovered. 

I don't have the time or patience to individually remove the products. I saw another solution on here saying to filter by vendor... I have 3000 vendors... I also don't have the patience or time for this... 

Shopify support suggested reuploading old csv files and overwriting the handle, tried it, no avail...

Anyone solve this problem?? Have a suggestion? A solution?? 

Thanks! 

Benny

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
516 100 97

Hi Benny, 

Victoria here from the Guru team! 

To delete that many duplicate products, it will take some work but it is completely possible! The best way to be able to do this is to export all of your products to CSV and remove the duplicates. Alternatively, if you already have a properly formatted CSV that does not have any duplicates you can use this too. 

You then will want to remove the products from your store and re-upload them via CSV. Please make sure you keep a direct copy of the CSV you have exported in case of any errors or mistakes. 

Here is a guide on how to export and import your products via CSV

If you did not want to go this route you would have to edit your products through the bulk editor, with this many products this may take quite a while! :) 

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Victoria - Shopify Guru

support@shopify.com

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Dear Shopify Guru,

Could it be possible to add a 'flag' called 'remove' or 'delete' as a column in shopify column list and then the import process of shopify products import use the flag to delete from the store.

The steps you explained here are totally manual and not really a good way to delete. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I just can not understand how is it possible!

I've just checked the export csv file of our WebSite => 7202 products! But 5800+ products start with word "Copy-of "... And I suppose it comes from the méthod used to introduce new product (to avoir to fill the entire product, we copy the precedent product, change some info, than save it..)

The problem is : It keeps the copied product .. event after we save the last version .. I suppose the last méthod decribe (export -Clean Csv - Import) is the only one we can use to "clean" the entire list of products.. and the only backup we have of the list of product is the file extracted!?? I will be very upset to lost the entire list of product for any import/export problem.  

F. 

0 Likes