Why are people initiating checkout but not purchasing even though I offer free shipping and no tax?

Highlighted
7 0 0

This is happening a lot and I have no idea how to stop this from happening. My checkout page is your regular shopify checkout. I offer paypal, google pay and debit card options.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
641 39 83

Hi, @Kevn3000 !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is well with you!

There can be numerous factors at play here. Some common reasons might include:

• A genuine error in the payment/ checkout process which is preventing customers from completing their purchases
  • A genuine change of heart from the customer. In which case this offers you the opportunity to trial out some new marketing techniques.

Looking at the former, do you have data on this from your admin or from Google Analytics for example? If you have noticed abandoned checkouts in your admin these can offer some great insight as to why a customer may have 'dropped off' before committing to purchase.

If you don't notice any detailed information here, I suggest to try placing a test order yourself using as much information as you can based on the data that you do have. This will show you the checkout process, exactly as your customers see/ experience it.  While examining this, do try to do so from the perspective of a potential customer. Ask yourself questions such as: how easy is this to complete the transaction, is there an excess of pop-ups or clutter in the way? Offering multiple payment choices is great, but there may indeed be other factors at play here. Ultimately we want to make the process as seamless as possible.

In terms of the latter, it's great that you have offered some discounts to your customers. As a consumer myself, free shipping is always a win. Though perhaps there are some more incentives that you can explore. For example a flash sale can be great way to entice customers, as they incite a level of urgency around completing a purchase. 

I do also  have some further questions for you to consider here:

• What is your niche?
  • What do you know about your customers, or your target market in general?

Having some information (both from your own research, and from your store's analytics) allows you to create incentives here. For example, if you know what products are being viewed the most, or from where your customers are accessing your store, you can then tailor discounts and promotions accordingly.

We also have some more marketing tips from within our blog here to help you along with a handy free app which I like to recommend to help with store analytics too. 

In sum, there is no single reason as to why this may be happening on your store. In order to determine the cause it will require a bit of digging, and often some trial and error marketing techniques, as you discover what works (or doesn't) for your own target audience. I suggest to start things off by placing some orders yourself to rule out any technical errors, and then to use the data that you do have to allow you to explore things in more detail. 

I do hope this helps, though if you have any questions at all feel free to let me know.

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes