Why cant we do sub categories? Sorry....

1 0 2

Up intill recently shopify seemed like the ultimate solution for my company that carries over 3000 different items, but not untill after i signed up for lightspeed with the intention of integrating it with shopify do i find out that i cant do sub categories?

im sorry but this is beyond stupid!

and after doing some more research i realize that im not the only one who thinks this way. 

Shopify, do you have timeline of when you might fix this? 

Its really the only thing holding me back from signing up for the service.

Now i realize that they have some sort of "solution" by using tags and what not, but from my understanding tags were originally created to be able to associate items with with other items when doing searches.

for my point of view it just seems like there trying to reinvent the wheel, especially with there "collections"

any one found a solution to work around this?

2 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 0 29

We keep collections flat, not nested, so that they're easy to create and manage. What are you trying to do with nested collections?

VP Product - Shopify
0 Likes
1 0 1

Hey Adam,

Am another user for your Shopify. Am also interested in signing up for Shopify, but only thing which is bothering is Sub Category and Sub / Sub Category.

We have over 5000 items and we need to categorize into few groups, which can further be divided into sub groups, else our clients will not able to search an item.

e.g.

We have an item called Pen Drive Hp 4gb to sell.

It is grouped into Computer Peripherals and further into Pen Drives Section. We cannot add all items into Computer Peripherals column, since it is more than 500 Items to be listed in Computer Peripherals.

Pls suggest

1 Like
1 0 1

Glad to see I'm not the only one wondering about this. I'm creating a webshop for a friend and since I'm used to create webpages in wordpress creating a dropdown with several levels takes only a couple of seconds...

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

I am in the same boat...I really like what Shopify has to offer, but...Collections??  Really?  Why not just call them what they are?  They are listed that way on most of the Themes I have seen.  The pricing with Shopify is great, buy looks like I will have to pass since I deal with several different stores with more than 20k items.  Can you imagine not having Sub Categories with this many items?  Just sayin.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 2

Same here.... We own a craft store with close to 6000 SKUs.  On our current site www.ibeadcanada.com we have 16 main categories, 50ish sub-categories, and hundreds of sub-sub-categories.  The only reason we are looking to switch over to Shopify is that our POS supplier made a deal with Shopify.  All our products would be uploaded automatically from the POS system. Also our current host has a few bugs.

HOWEVER... I get the feeling that Shopify is NOT meant (or do not want to deal) with the BIG boy companies, just small individuals trying to make a few dollars on the side.  Otherwise Shopify would have accommodated us a long time ago.  Oh well, we'll just go spend our money elsewhere. 

1 Like
Tourist
12 0 2

Same here.... We own a craft store with close to 6000 SKUs.  On our current site www.ibeadcanada.com we have 16 main categories, 50ish sub-categories, and hundreds of sub-sub-categories.  The only reason we are looking to switch over to Shopify is that our POS supplier made a deal with Shopify.  All our products would be uploaded automatically from the POS system. Also our current host has a few bugs.

HOWEVER... I get the feeling that Shopify is NOT meant (or do not want to deal) with the BIG boy companies, just small individuals trying to make a few dollars on the side.  Otherwise Shopify would have accommodated us a long time ago.  Oh well, we'll just go spend our money elsewhere. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

I'm new to shopify having just opened a store for a small business with relatively few products.  I've been happy with the experience so far and was researching opening a store for our much larger business with around 2k products.  I'm glad I ran across this thread because the inability to organize our products deeper than one level is a no-go.  I guess I'll shop around for another solution for that site. 

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

Hi Everyone,

You might be interested in the Filter Menu App - it allows you to filter down your products via attributes, in much the same way as many large online stores (Amazon, eBay). It can give similar functionality as nested categories, and can actually be a lot more powerful and useful for your customers.

* Disclaimer - I'm the developer :)

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 2

Hi Brad, Nice tool. If it was free or just one payment in stead of monthly I would certainly consider it. 

1 Like