Why do customers need to provide their ID number during checkout?

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Recently, when customers purchase products from our store, they need to provide additional information. For China, need Resident ID number. How to disable this? Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 71 102

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @changchu! Welcome to the Community; That's a great question!

In order to better help our merchants comply with country specific customs and shipping regulations, we’ve recently implemented this mandatory field into the checkout for buyers located in countries that require this information: China, Brazil, South Korea and Italy. 

Once entered on the payment page of the checkout and the order is processed, the customer's resident ID number will automatically be added to shipping labels purchased through Shopify Shipping or fulfilled through Oberlo, in order to meet these unique regulations. There is more information about it all in the Help Doc for International shipping considerations.

I understand that you are wanting it disabled though. Is this because you are already collecting the information another way, like through an app?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

Having this issue also. A US citizen living in China does not have the ID number required. I am not shipping through Shopify or Oberlo. Can this customer enter just 0000 or leav it blank and get sent our products through the 3PL?

Does the name have to match the number for customs to clear it?

Can I disable it altogether?

Thanks

0 Likes