Why does Shopify Payments need proof of inventory?

Highlighted
2 0 0

We received an email telling us that as part of a standard review, we had to provide multiple documents within 7 days to prevent disruptions to our payouts. These included photo ID, proof of business association, proof of address, and proof of inventory. We've sent everything except proof of inventory.

For proof of inventory we need to provide,"Dated invoices from suppliers outlining quantities or dated manufacturing agreement". 

Why is proof of inventory needed? The Risk Analyst couldn't, or wouldn't, provide any clarification. We have over 120 items in our store. We track our inventory. Some items are custom made here at our facility, some are purchased and we use many different suppliers. Do we really need to pull someone away from their already very busy schedule to go through every item in our store and match it to an invoice to send to Shopify, then gather invoices for all the materials for the products we make in house? If so, I need to understand why.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

I agree, why proof of inventory? They are asking for supplier invoices, which is proprietary info in my opinion. There is no good business reason for shopify request for such information and we have a right to keep these private. Someone please advise. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Did you resolve this, did you have to send them proof of inventory or was all of the other information they were asking for sufficient.  I am asking being they want the same information from me and as it is I have no free time with how busy we are and frankly this is something they should not be asking.

@JumpforJoy wrote:

We received an email telling us that as part of a standard review, we had to provide multiple documents within 7 days to prevent disruptions to our payouts. These included photo ID, proof of business association, proof of address, and proof of inventory. We've sent everything except proof of inventory.

For proof of inventory we need to provide,"Dated invoices from suppliers outlining quantities or dated manufacturing agreement". 

Why is proof of inventory needed? The Risk Analyst couldn't, or wouldn't, provide any clarification. We have over 120 items in our store. We track our inventory. Some items are custom made here at our facility, some are purchased and we use many different suppliers. Do we really need to pull someone away from their already very busy schedule to go through every item in our store and match it to an invoice to send to Shopify, then gather invoices for all the materials for the products we make in house? If so, I need to understand why.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I never got an answer, so I ended up spending 10 minutes and sent a few highly redacted invoices from a couple of different vendors. Like michelle002013 said, our invoices and manufacturing agreements contain a lot of proprietary information.

With absolutely no clarification or explanation from Shopify regarding why they need that information and how it would be used, I wasn't going to spend any more time than that. Apparently, that was good enough, because we didn't hear back and we're receiving our payouts. Now, I wonder if I really needed to send anything at all?

@Rene71 wrote:

Did you resolve this, did you have to send them proof of inventory or was all of the other information they were asking for sufficient.  I am asking being they want the same information from me and as it is I have no free time with how busy we are and frankly this is something they should not be asking.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I agree, why proof of inventory? They are asking for supplier invoices, which is proprietary info in my opinion. There is no good business reason for shopify request for such information and we have a right to keep these private. Someone please advise. 

snaptube telegram web vidmate 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

@JumpforJoy wrote:

I never got an answer, so I ended up spending 10 minutes and sent a few highly redacted invoices from a couple of different vendors. Like michelle002013 said, our invoices and manufacturing agreements contain a lot of proprietary information.

With absolutely no clarification or explanation from Shopify regarding why they need that information and how it would be used, I wasn't going to spend any more time than that. Apparently, that was good enough, because we didn't hear back and we're receiving our payouts. Now, I wonder if I really needed to send anything at all?

@Rene71 wrote:

Thank you for letting me know, I gave them some billing information and they never explained to myself specifically why they need this information.  To be blunt I like Shopify however their lack of human communication on matters like this is very unprofessional and not appreciated.  Either way they seem to be satisfied now, I would hope that they take into consideration they are a large profitable company because of people like us that use their product and they would be willing to be less Gestapo like in how they deal with people.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi, ours resolved, apparently there was another shopify email prior to invoice request email i found stating they suspected us for brand infringement. Therefore, suspect they are requesting invoice to verify offical brand purchase (mayb should have stated clearly, or for some reason they dont want to state the alleged reason to avoid arguments?) - customer service did not reply me at all with my initial 'why invoice' query, never heard back. 

The products concerned were listed previously by staff who left but not promoted or selling as they were not our core business at all and discontinued long ago. So I had them all deleted, tidied up the store, replied to that email that this brand thing been deleted from store. I then got an email its been resolved. I did also send an invoice as well but havent heard back on that part either. Not sure if its 2 diff departments. But the notice disappeared from store. Hope goes well for all of you! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Deleted

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

You have a brand thing going on too yeah?! maybe we cracked the code ! (ourselves) ! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Shopify, eBay Amazon, they want to know supplier info so they can make money for themselves. It’s kind of like taking your product to sell at Walmart, they’ll sell it for you, find out how you make it, then walla! All of a sudden your product is sold under “great value” brand and they tell you they don’t need your services anymore. 

0 Likes