Why doesn't Shopify ever seem to fix fundamental problems?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
165 2 125

Hi There,

We're completely deflated so this isn't an angry complaints post, and isn't meant to annoy so we hope people don't take it the wrong way. It's a genuine ask for help understanding how to get Shopify to fix long-standing basics like:

1. Cancelled orders display/flagged as needing to be fulfilled.

An unfulfilled order is an ecommerce task like a to-do item and in Shopify, it's even flagged bright yellow like a warning (as it should be). But a cancelled order doesn't need to be fulfilled, so there's no task to perform. This continually creates confusion and frustration and has been requested for years.

2. You can't add a customer to an order once the order has been processed. 

It's not always possible to create the customer first. Take a successful pop-up sale, customers are impatient, they change their minds afterwards, some decide to give you their details in writing, or via email later, you get an internet outages etc etc. Success brings chaos. Flexibility to fix customer data is non-negotiable in 2019. Yes, we end up with bad data but because Shopify doesn't understand that the customer has purchased something, it also breaks email segments, VIP statuses, points, discounts etc. Computers are good at editing stuff - that was the whole point of them to begin with! Again, requested for years as far as we can tell.

3. The phone filed in the POS app doesn't use a phone keyboard on iPad.

A small issue that is surely easy to fix? On smaller iPads you have to switch between 3 keyboard layouts (letters, symbols and numbers) to enter a properly formatted phone number (e.g. +613 1111 1111) which the app seems to insist on. This creates a lot of confusion and frustration when impatient customers are waiting during a successful/busy sale. First requested last year.

4. The POS app doesn't allow real-world discounts

The discount field needs a switch to use the dollar amount entered as the final sale price. e.g. 20% off. Retailers don't use the actual price of $180.29, most round down to $179 - and for a good reason, it works. First requested last year.

5. Website design is actually content design

In Shopify, you can't even add a custom field, let alone layout your content. The concept of hard-coding content layout into a template is long-gone (unless making a basic page). If you remove the content from the Apple website, all you're left with is the main nav and some grey lines - 99% of it is actually content design. But with Shopify, you're constantly trying to force content to fit a pre-determined template, and it often doesn't fit after it's designed. e.g. you designed it for three product features but now you have five. Layout hugely impacts communication and a third-party app doesn't cut it for something so fundamental to a website. I trust that Shopify will be around, app devs, not so much. Shopify clearly understands this, take a look at their own site. Again, requested by many for years.

We feel trapped because it's such a big deal to move and while we love the amazing looking features available in Shopify, the reality is that in the trenches day-to-day, we're hugely impacted by the things above.

Yes, this stuff isn't sexy but is everything really about being super cool, or about upvotes, or 'design by committee'?

Everything listed as been requested a lot (some for many, many years) so is there a way to get Shopify to take more of a leadership role and fix the more fundamental but mundane stuff?

I hope that makes sense and isn't taken the wrong way - it's less about listening and more about action at this point.

Cheers,

Ben

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
165 2 125

And most of this stuff is fairly basic to fix too - right?

1. Just auto-fulfil cancelled orders - or create a new 'Cancelled' fulfilment status
  2. Put an 'Add' link next to the customer section and allow us to search for a customer to add to an order...
    add-customer-to-order.gif

3. Change the phone number field in the POS app to an actual iOS phone field so it pops up a phone keyboard...
    pos-phone-keybaord.png

4. Add a 'Use as final total' switch to the dollar discount field in the POS app...
    real-world-discounts.png

5. Expand the home page features to all pages and allow user-defined snippets for custom content layout. It's time to embrace modern content management - the heavy lifting has been done on the home page.

We first came across the concept of content blocks over a decade ago - heck, even Wordpress has moved on. Checkout Apple's website when the content is removed, almost nothing. Website design is mostly content layout...
    content-design.png
1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2934 214 475

Hi @cmscss,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Firstly I want to say thank you for reaching out and giving your feedback about these particular features. Feedback like this from store owners who are using Shopify day to day to run businesses it makes it much easier for our development team to understand what you are looking for and why. By giving a reason and how a certain feature can improve your business it gives a perspective to a situation which the team might not have come across before making post's like yours so valuable.

What I can do from my end is to submit each of these as feature requests to our development team individually with the context you have provided to explain how they can help your business moving forward. 

One thing I wanted to touch on also is what you mentioned here. 

Layout hugely impacts communication and a third-party app doesn't cut it for something so fundamental to a website. I trust that Shopify will be around, app devs, not so much.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but one app I can attest to is the Shogun Page Builder app. Shopify has a strong vetting and trusted process for developers with apps in the app store to prevent things as you suggested from happening. Shogun is a very popular app with a strong rating with over 1,000 reviews. 

12-24-zxdl5-fb02i

While it might not be exactly what you're looking for, an app such as Shogun for this would be your closest and best bet for now. 

Thank you again for your feedback! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
165 2 125

Thanks for the reply Nick.

We still don't really understand how to get the small stuff fixed sorry. We have two pop-up sales per month and know the POS issues will cause headaches. If they were systemic problems we'd switch to a dedicated POS system but they're actually minor oversights which cause the headaches.

Re layout: The layout plugins are overly complicated to use sorry, they're bewildering! We just need basic control. Having Shopify's home page layout system on every page (with the ability to define custom snippets) is exactly like having Shopify's basic review plugin vs the feature-rich third-party offerings. Plus, the heavy lifting for this beautifully simple layout system has been done - right?

Fully locked-in content layout is outdated, it's not right to rely on a third party, of a third party, for something so fundamental (we'd use it on every page including blog pages). Custom software is A LOT of hard work so people eventually come and go but this reality is almost non-existent with a Shopify solution.

You guys are all lovely to deal with but after many years in some cases, it's Shopify's actions which are hugely demoralising sorry. But thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Cheers 

Ben

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
165 2 125

We took a bunch of pre-orders 6 weeks ago but because the unfulfilled badge displays incorrect info (see attached), staff, who have now learnt to ignore that badge, missed some orders.

Yes, if the orders list was filtered by unfulfilled, it's likely those orders would not have been missed. But after 25 years training staff and systemising businesses, INCORRECT INFO ALWAYS CREATES CONFUSION - ALWAYS!

So many people have pointed out this UI/UX bug, for the love of God, fix it.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 6.20.35 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
165 2 125

And here's another mind-numbing issue, you can't alter an order:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Changing-A-Customer-s-Order/td-p/52619/page/34

Customers change their minds and when that happens, we need a clean, accurate data trail. Not a web of cancelled orders tenuously linked together by notes! 

To fix it, we have to create a small data mess: Fulfil the now incorrect order even though it's cancelled (so stupid), create a new draft order and fulfil it, then add a note to both orders so we're able to trace the original Shopify POS receipt through to the actual order shipped (assuming staff remember to check for a small note on the order).

It's layers of mess and it's unexceptable in 2019 sorry. Yes, most businesses don't care but many businesses also close, Those of us with decades of experience understand how important clarity is.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2934 214 475

Hi everyone, 

I'm happy to share order editing is now available, one of the issues discussed in this topic.

To learn more check out this post, the Help Center and the Shopify Changelog. Thanks! 

Note: Since this topic hasn't had activity in a while I am going to lock it. If you would like to share feedback or have questions about Order Editing please start a new topic and if needed reference this topic. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes