Why is Google indexing my store like this?

stacykan
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi all. I have a new Shopify store and I have a niche market. I am finding some odd indexing in Google and I'm not sure why they are indexing the site like this:

Feminizing Pills For Men - MRMS MRMS MRMS
 › collections › feminizing-pills-for-men

Don't understand the three MRMS after the collection name. Can anyone explain?
Replies 4 (4)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @stacykan 

Have you looked into your Online Store > Preferences page to see what you have set as your homepage title? That may be playing a part in how that title is being indexed by Google. Example: 

Otherwise, I'd go into your collection from the Shopify admin and at the bottom of that page, you will see blue text you can click on that says "Edit Website SEO" where you can edit the title/description for that particular collection. It's possible that string of MRMS text lives in that section too.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

stacykan
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for replying. Here is what I have and I did it myself so I know there is no redundancy:

Homepage title

Feminizing Pills And Estrogen For Crossdressing Men And Transgender

67 of 70 characters used

And also the title of the collection is correct:

stacykan_0-1628085010679.png

I even looked at the page source:

stacykan_0-1628085209985.png

It's a mystery! Maybe you can pick the brains of other Shopify staff to figure it out? THANKS!

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 115

I notice that there is a comment referring to SEO Expert Pro. My first guess is that this indicative of an "SEO helper" app which has it's own <title> functionality. Seems likely that SEO Expert Pro is installed and has replaced the default theme title tag with its own field.

So it may currently be the case that you need to edit home page title within that app settings, if it's installed? I personally prefer to not use these kind of apps as they often to create messes like this, and add very little value 🙂

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @stacykan! Did you follow up with @KieranR recommendations on checking out that third-party app you have installed? Were you able to make the appropriate changes in there?

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog