Why is creating a subscription product not native in Shopify?

Highlighted
3 0 18

Dear Gurus,

Why do I need to pay for a plug-in to create subscription products in my Shopify store???  I already pay for shopify, aren't subscription products a standard for ecommerce?  Shouldn't this be native?  Or there should be a FREE shopify built plug-in.  Am furious that I have to keep paying other people for stuff that should come with what I pay shopify for!!!

John @ Unwicked Scents

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
663 53 119

Hey, John! 

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! First off, I would like to thank you for your feedback here. We're always looking to improve the Shopify platform for the merchants that use Shopify - so I will be sure to bring this up to our team here at Shopify. It is beneficial for us to get feedback like this and to know what our merchants need and want from their ecommerce platform. 
While I know that a product subscription feature isn't available right now and you did mention the use of apps, since the subscription feature isn't something that is available on the Shopify platform currently - I thought I would bring up some app suggestions that come recommended by other merchants and Shopify Gurus alike. 
Be sure to check out: Recurring Orders & Subscription Box App by Bold and ReCharge Recurring Billing & Subscriptions. Both of these apps do require you to pay a monthly fee, but you do get features that would allow you to create a subscription payment base for your products, and with Recurring Orders & Subscriptions you can also do payment plans for your customers and have a pre-order system for your products.

Again, I do know this is a pain point for you - so I will be bringing up this feedback to the appropriate team here at Shopify for you! 
I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to ask and we would be happy to help!

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 18

Karlie,

Thank you for your feedback, but you made my point.  I already pay Shopify every month, and NOW - for a feature that should be native to any ecommerce platform - I have to pay ANOTHER developer for a plugin!  Recurring orders costs almost as much as I pay Shopify for one feature.  I can't be the only person for whom this is an issue.

John

Highlighted
1 0 4

I totally agree with John.  I very much wanted to go with Shopify for a project, but HATE having such a crucial piece done through 3rd party providers who would basically charge as much as I would be paying for the Shopify platform plus more (percentage of revenue, etc.), not to mention being forced to use non-Shopify payment processors and incurring more expenses.  It's also a pain to have to keep track of 3rd party apps when core Shopify is being updated.  I don't want to have to rely on multiple 3rd party vendors to continually update their software.  I moved forward with 3DCart because even though you have to join a higher tier, the subscription functionality is part of their software and not some 3rd party.  I still wish I could have moved forward with Shopify as 3DCart has a steep learning curve and requires a ton of effort to adjust HTML and CSS.  

Highlighted
Explorer
41 1 64

Definitely think this should be a feature included in Shopify.  Using Shopify Payments is one of the reasons people like to use Shopify. All of the Subscriptions apps on the store, like the ones listed here, require the use of 3rd party payment options. This is less than ideal.  We don't want to set up an account with Stripe or another payment processor just to be able to do this.  Shopify not having this worked out is just silly.  I mean, Shopify payments is in partnership with Stripe who has these features available (several of the apps in the shopify app store us stripe). Would really like to see this feature.

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 20

I've experienced many pain points integrating these third parties, they take your payment offsite to their checkout page, which of course isn't skinned the same as your Shopify checkout (if you use Shopify Plus you can apply css to your checkout), users have to manage their subscription options from third party offsite pages also, often difficult to skin, and require a developer to do that anyway. Not to mention that another third party is privy to your customer data, what do they do with it? Migrating away from these third parties is sure to be another pain point, as a whole, Shopify is failing on recurring billing (not to mention a dozen other eComm features that should be native by now).

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 4

Please shopify, make a native integration for recurring payments. The apps that we want to use simply don't work because they don't support our local payment methods. They only support creditcard, but just about 20% of our country's people pay with creditcard. All other payment methods are not supported by those apps.

Highlighted
2 0 2
Damn I thought I was the only person
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 20

Still no "Shopify Guru" gonna chime in here? Of course, they wouldn't get their commission if they stopped recommending third party apps -- "hey everyone, checkout my App, it leeches all your customer data and its sucks... but Shopify approved it"

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi Karlie,

Has this issue been resolved yet? please let me know.