Why is this scammer still online?

Tourist
6 0 10

I contacted Shopify by chat last week about a scam website they're hosting. The website is still up.

How long does it take them to take down a scammer's website? I was about to click "Buy" when I thought I'd look to see why the price was so low after I followed a Google shopping link to their website. Here are the details . . .

The website is Damilsha.com 

They have the same IP address as Shopify.com -- 23.227.38.32
They use a "Shopify Secure" logo on their pages to show it's safe to use credit cards
Their address is an alley in San Diego California
Their telephone Area Code is in Texas. Their phone is broken
Their business hours are listed in Eastern Standard Time
They have over 12,000 items for sale and every item is priced $14.95
3-D printers that sell elsewhere for $150 to $700 are all $14.95
Their domain was registered 7 weeks ago damilsha.com
The domain for another contact email was registered 9 weeks ago as amaisfy.com, but that domain has no website
There is no registrar abuse contact email in their whois
There is no registrar abuse contact phone in their whois

Their contact email has their own name misspelled (damilsha.com vs. damlisha.com

Secure Checkout

We use encrypted SSL security to ensure that your credit card information is 100% protected.

Checkout Secure

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 10

I've got an idea. I'll just call the fraud departments at VISA, MasterCard, AMEX and PayPal and alert them that a Shopify vendor is a fake. (Unlike Shopify, at least they all have phone numbers.) I expect that will cause a flurry of activity. I expect the credit card companies will be more motivated to at least look at why this business is an alley.

I don't know if they'll block purchases through Damilsha or perhaps all Shopify vendors, but I guess we'll (you'll) find out soon enough.

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 10

OK -- I've had enough. I tried to chat with VISA and they won't do anything unless I tell them the first 6 digits of my card. It's not about my card (although it came very close to me buying something here).

I called a phone number at Shopify and the guy wants me to fill out a form with their legal department.

I told Shopify about this outfit last Tuesday at 5 PM (6 days ago) and they're still online like nothing happened. Your reputation and income are on the line and everybody seems to want me to fix it.

I've got a better idea. You guys figure out how you want to handle it. I'm out of here. If you don't have the ability to discover scammers before you host their website and give them access to your credit card accounts, and then can't figure out how to take them down once you've been notified, you deserve to have a heap of trouble come down on your head.

Good luck.

Bye.

1 Like
1 0 1
They also go under Retsho, Robyfy, Martimarket, and Alekoshop.
1 Like
Tourist
5 0 4

Yes, a heap of trouble and more. I feel the same way. These scammers have found loopholes in online e-commerce that allow them to operate just below the RADAR of law enforcement and policies regarding electronic payment methods. Consequently, they avoid being charged with crimes and worse they avoid being shutdown by complying (falsely) with the payment services that they are exploiting.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 10

There is an online review for Retsho -- everybody gives them 1-Star and complains about never getting their order.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/retsho.com

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
583 18 49

Hi, all. 

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Sorry to hear that you've been having a difficult time receiving your order or contacting a shop online. In general, if you've placed an order, the best place to reach out to is the shop directly by replying to any correspondence you might have had with them.

Shops are responsible for shipping and sending products to customers, and the shipping times can vary so much depending on where they are and what they sell, so asking them for an update is the best first step. Some shops also list more details on expected shipping times, so please check those details out directly. The shop you've mentioned, @hughjazscheens, does not have a shipping FAQ but does have some policies linked in the footer with more info, including a Refund Policy page, which might be of use in this case.

In terms of best steps to take and where to look for help my colleague, Bo, recently wrote a post with some great content called FAQ: Your Online Order. I'd suggest reading through the details listed for some best practices, some of the responses in this thread have been addressed as well. 

Please keep in mind that the decisions we make as a service provider will not be shared with customers of merchants due to the privacy policies we have in place, but, again, this post is a great place to get some more context and read up on the processes we have in place. I hope this helps point you in the right direction!

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 10

Best of all -- go to their Contact info on their websites retsho.com  martimarket.com  alekoshop.com  and  damilsha.com

They all have the same phone number that is disconnected. They have different addresses, all of which are fake. There are all 1-Star reviews on different sites for "never got my order."

Their "business addresses" are an alley in San Diego, a non-existent address between two multi-million dollar homes in the woods in the middle of nowhere north of San Francisco, a truck parking lot in Wichita, Kansas, and a County Road with no address in rural Palestine, Texas.

I've called Shopify twice (since that's who is hosting their websites) and they as much as told me, "We have a lot of big-name clients" and that they weren't going to do anything about it.

Magadshop.com and Robyfy.com are the work of the same scammers. Those websites have vanished quite recently. Robyfy's address is a utility pole at 105 Toomey St. in Lemoore, California, according to the Better Business Bureau. All six websites share that same funky phone number. You'd think the scammer would have at least had the ambition to pick a new fake phone. You'd also think Shopify would have more ambition to protect their brand and their reputation.

Guess not. Maybe I should call a few of their "big-name clients" and describe how they're sharing brands with the scammers. Do you display the Shopify logo?

2 Likes
Tourist
6 0 10

Thanks for your quick reply, Max. Unfortunately, it appears that you did not actually read any of the messages you're replying to.

Your FAQ suggestion of "reaching out to that store owner via the information on the About Us or Contact page of the website. If you can't find any info there, then we would suggest replying to the original order notification email" doesn't work if no one responds to any emails. Many of the online complaints are that the email route is a complete dead-end.

Your FAQ suggestion of creating a ticket that "I haven't received my order" would suggest I was stupid enough to do business with a thief. I'm not. You are the ones doing business with thieves. I also read the reviews. Maybe you should read the reviews. And why did Magadshop and Robyfy suddenly just disappear recently?

By the way, your copy-and-paste job put MY name in place of the fake vendor's name. And I think your boilerplate response should be edited from "die to the privacy policies" (unless that's what you meant to say).    :-)

3 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

Max, these scammers are abusing online e-commerce, and if you can't see it that way then You and Shopify are part of the problem.

1 Like