Would you like to help us with this 1 question?

Excursionist
56 0 9

Have you ever wished that someone had told you the must-have things before you launched your store? Well here is a chance for you to help others out!

Launching a new store can be overwhelming. And more often than not, merchants forget a few essential things before they unveil the curtains of their store. We all know how first impressions stay forever. Therefore it becomes essential to make sure that everything is in place before your store goes live.

We see a lot of stores that go live half-baked and the merchants have no clue what they should be having on their brand new store. To address that, we are writing an article on ‘A must see checklist before you launch your first Shopify Store’.

It would great if you could share the checklist you maintained or mention what merchant should make sure they have when they launch their store? Is it a provision to chat with you, availability of a search bar, optimizing the images, or making sure the privacy policy is in place? It could be anything!

Comment your answer below along with your store name and we will feature it on our blog. You may also get in touch with me if you wish to remain anonymous.

pravya@datability.co
1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
434 0 77

Hi, Pravya!

It's great to write to you again! This question really peaked my interest because we help merchants get ready for their big launch on a regular basis. Shopify has a pre-launch checklist here that has helpful tips. I also thought it would be a good idea to share some of the important points that I look for when providing feedback on peoples stores. These tips are also quite helpful when getting ready to launch: 

1) When I first click on a website link I let the page open up and I wait about a minute or so to see if there are any popups that appear. I recommend having one popup that asks for the customer's email address along with reasons why. Here is an example:

2) I also check to see if there are any popups and other features that cover important information. There are several apps as well as themes that you can use to create an Announcement Bar like the screenshot I have below that says Free shipping on all USA orders. Depending on the theme, sometimes the announcement bar will block the main menu depending on your theme I like to check for that too.

3) How does your website look on mobile? You can check your website using your phone to make sure that everything is working and that it looks professional.  Another way I found is to go to your website > right click and select Inspect

Click the icon on the top right that looks like mobile devices:

This lets you see and click through your website on mobile. I'm using a Mac for these steps so they might be different on a PC. If you click on Online you can see what your website looks like on different types of devices:

4) Three pages I always recommend having are an About Us page, a Refund Policy, and a Contact Page. 

- The About Us page should be very well thought out because this is the page where people are being introduced to your business. A good tip is to try to avoid cliche statements that have lost their meaning due to overuse such as "Great low prices!", "Good quality", etc. 

Two articles that are good resources to help you create an amazing About Us page are:

The Untapped Potential of About Us Pages (And How to Write Your Own)

How to Get a Date With George Clooney (or Write the Perfect Ecommerce About Page)

- A Refund Policy doesn't have to be done from scratch. Shopify has a template that you can use to create your Refund Policy and edit it as you like. 

The steps to create a Refund Policy are two parts

a) Here are the first set of steps that show you how to use Shopify's sample refund policy. This will make your Refund Policy appear on the checkout page.

b) In order to make your Refund Policy appear on your website as well (which I highly recommend as a must) you will need to create a page for it using these steps and then add that page to your Navigation. Most people add their Refund Policy and any other policies they make to their footer (bottom of their website).

c) The Contact Page is pretty straight-forward. What lots of people don't know is that you don't need an app to create a contact form on your website for your customers to reach you because Shopify already has one that you can add for free. 

When you follow the steps on how to create a Contact Page here, make sure to follow Step #5 that says to select page.contact in the template section like this:

I hope this helps with your article and for anyone interested in improving their store! Be sure to link that article when you're done (even if you don't use any of my ramblings). I really enjoyed the last one you wrote!

Jade | Social Care

0 Likes
Excursionist
56 0 9

Hey Jade,

Awesome! Now that is some answer! :) I am going to include the points that you have mentioned. Please email me your full name and your headshot.

pravya@datability.co
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
434 0 77

Hi, Pravya!

I'm happy to hear that this information is helpful for your article. For the security of our staff, we only use first names publically. You're free to use the headshot of me that's in the forums. If you need a better quality image let me know and I can send one to you.

Sincerely,

Jade | Social Care

0 Likes
Excursionist
56 0 9

Sure Jade, I understand. Could you please share a better quality headshot as the one here is a bit too small. It might get pixelated on the blog. 

pravya@datability.co
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
434 0 77

Hi, Pravya!

I just sent an email to the email address that you use to login to your forums account. I hope you find lots of people to provide insights into what it takes to get ready to launch a store! 

Best Wishes!

Jade | Social Care

0 Likes
Excursionist
56 0 9

Thanks Jade! Received your mail. Will send you the link to the article once published. :) 

pravya@datability.co
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
56 0 9

Hey Jade, 

'The Ultimate Pre-Launch Checklist For Shopify Stores' is live on our blog. Here is the link. Let me know your thoughts :)

Once again, thanks for all the help. 

pravya@datability.co
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
434 0 77

Hi, Pravya!

The article looks great! I was away on vacation so it was a welcome read to return to when I got back! 

A small detail I noticed is that the link under Refund Policy isn't listed but I found that all of your other links in your article work.

There are so many tips like the search bar, helpful apps, checking to make sure that your navigation is setup correctly and other details that are so easy to overlook when launching a store. Your article does a great job of going into detail and explaining it in a way that's easy to understand. 

I'm looking forward to reading your future works!

Jade | Social Care

0 Likes
Excursionist
56 0 9

My bad! I have added the links now.

Glad that you like the article :) My next piece is on discounting strategies for Shopify stores.  

pravya@datability.co
0 Likes