Would you say this is phishing or a threat? - What can be done?

Solved
Tourist
21 0 1

Just received this little jewel. Is this common for other members in the community? Since joining  Shopify my only regret is the sheer amount of spam and threats that randomly come in through shopify's contact page. Never remember every getting these when we ran our own website, just since we started using shopify.

Of the anti spam apps out there does anyone have a recommendation for the best way to stop spammers but not be too putoffish for people trying to legitimately make contact?

Any help appreciated.

shopify-phishing.jpg

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
749 41 113

Hey, Kurtis!

Peter here from Shopify Support. 

It does appear that this email is making the rounds as this has popped up a few times today with other store owners I've interacted with. While I can't give a specific reason as to why it's targeting Shopify store owners, I do have my assumptions. In most cases, malicious software tends to be targeted towards platforms with a high user base, and given that Shopify is one of the leading e-commerce platforms, this is the most likely reason you see a higher than usual spam amount. Nevertheless, while we are always working to help our mitigate this for store owners, a lot of this boils down to the type of contact form a store provides. Here are a few options you could consider!

1. Zero Spam Contact Form -$4.95/month
  2. Shop Protector -$4.99/month
  3. WuFoo Contact Forms - Free, third party option that has anti-spam filters built in. 
  4. Remove the contact form, and provide detailed contact information so bots can't automatically target the form. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best,

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 1

I'll give it a try thank you for the support.

1 Like