YouTube clicks showing as Direct traffic in Google Analytics

Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 10

I have Google Analytics, Shopify and Google Ads all connected and working fine.  I have recently started advertising on YouTube and what to see how many visitors I receive from there.  Since advertising began, I can see that my source "Direct" traffic has shot up, so I presume that these are my YouTube visitors.  Does anyone know why they show as "Direct" and not, for example, within source "Social" (like Instagram and Facebook do)?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
536 31 85

Hi, @Re1.

Tira here, from Shopify Support.

That's great you're promoting your store on YouTube and I'm glad to hear your traffic has increased.

I'm happy to shed some light on this. 

Where are you seeing these statistics? Are they in the Shopify admin, under the Analytics > Overview dashboard section? 

We do have a card in that section listed as "Online store sessions from social source" that will show traffic that have come from social media channels like YouTube and Facebook and can help you with your marketing decisions. We also have a card called "Online store sessions by traffic source" which shows traffic made from direct, social, search and email.

Direct traffic would indicate that the URL of your store was entered into a customer's browser, so it's likely your YouTube referrals aren't showing here.

Check out our help doc: Overview Dashboard - Shopify Analytics for definitions of each card and what information they provide, such as checking the values of your sales, where referrals are coming from and monitoring trends over time. You can also check out our help doc on Shopify Analytics to learn more about looking at your reports, live view and tailoring your reports. 

What are you using to advertise on YouTube? Do customers need to enter the URL of your store in their browser to use your promotion, or do they need to click on a link? 

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 10

Hi Tira,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  It is in Google Analytics that I have seen the "Direct" traffic increase.

However I think I have the answer to my question.  Organic and Direct traffic has increased because people are typing my brand/url into their browser/search bar.

I have a clickable "learn more" link in the video and if I view Google Ads at campaign level in Google Analytics, I can see my Ad there.  The numbers are low and CPC very high, but that must be because people are going Direct/Organic, so not a true reflection of the video performance.

Thanks for your answer.

0 Likes