Your opinion on custom collection descriptions & meta descriptions

Shopify Partner
43 0 0

I had created a menu structure that used collections as a sub category and then my "all products" collection filtered by tags as a sub sub category. All was working well until I realised that all those filtered collections were inheriting the same "all products" collection description. As I was using the collection description to generate my meta description I was foreseeing duplicate issues with Google.

So I came up with this code that called the tag that the collection was filtered on and used it a custom collection template which i assigned to the "all products" collection.

I then also called the tags in the main theme and used it prepend the meta description so at least there was some difference for Google.

Sounds confusing, thats why I wanted your opinion.

So this is the code I used in a new template for collections which I assigned to my "all products" collection.

{% if current_tags %}
          {% for tag in current_tags %}
        Find unique {{ tag }} at Beezer.com.au - The latest gifts and {{ tag }} that you will be happy to give or receive.
        {% endfor %}
        {% endif %}

I then added similar code to my theme file to generate the meta description:

{% when 'collection.all' %}
   {% if current_tags %}{% for tag in current_tags %}
        <meta name="description" content="{{ tag }} - {% if collection.description.size > 0 %}{{collection.description | strip_html | truncatewords:maxwords}}{% endif %}"/>
        <meta name="keywords" content= "{{collection.title}}{% if collection.tags.size > 0 %}: {{ collection.tags | join: ', ' }}{% endif %}" />
   {% endfor %}{% endif %}

This code just adds the keyword to the start of the "all products" collection description and creates a meta description.

Not ideal but at least its different on each page.

Anyone else doing this or have you found a better solution?

Caroline I am waiting on you...You have been my angel so far, I find your assistance here invaluable thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
43 0 0

and of course the website for reference is: www.beezer.com.au

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
43 0 0

Any other ways of creating custom collection descriptions anyone?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
695 0 13

you can use this app http://apps.shopify.com/meta-tagger

I've found it really easy to use, great app 

:)

jewellery designer-maker & nature inspired photographer | West Yorkshire, UK
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
43 0 0

Looks good for Meta Descriptions but not so for the on page descriptions of collections filtered by tags.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 287

Add canonical links to your filtered collection pages to tell Google to go to the unfiltered view if that bothers you — or add to your meta description and title on those pages.

{% if template contains 'collection' and current_tags.size > 0 %}
Do your thing
{% endif %}
Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3955 17 331

@David Richardson,

One of the things I emphasize with the Meta Tagger App, is that it assigns data to resources. There is no creative limit to this data, in the sense that you could assign a very sophisticated data structure to an asset like a collection. 

So, with fair to middling skill with Liquid, you could muddle your way with Tags into producing for yourself a stupendous SEO result. 

Please don't write off something without truly understanding it. I realize you probably feel pretty confident in your own abilities, but your comment could truly lead others to conclude incorrectly that SEO and collections is not easily tackled with Meta Tagger, when in fact, it makes it very easy to experiment with a shop's collections. 

I guess it is up to me to lead the way on this issue so I will file this one under a future blog post. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
43 0 0

Hi Hunky,

I am far from confident with my own Shopify abilities and I must admit I only took a fleeting glance at Meta Tagger and concluded that it didn't allow me to fiddle with collection descriptions. I'd like to know more about it if it is that flexible is more workable longterm than my hack.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
32 0 3

Is this still the best solution?

Thanks,

Tom

@Caroline_Schnap wrote:

Add canonical links to your filtered collection pages to tell Google to go to the unfiltered view if that bothers you — or add to your meta description and title on those pages.

{% if template contains 'collection' and current_tags.size > 0 %}
Do your thing
{% endif %}

0 Likes