Zero rated VAT on some items? Any work-arounds?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 0
Hello there, I was on the verge of launching a Shopify store selling zero VAT rated items. We sell artists' print which are sold on a sale or return basis. As none of our artists were registered for VAT, we can just set the tax rate to zero. But, it now looks like our best selling artist will become VAT registered - so we'll have to charge VAT on their prints, but not the others. I've asked the Shopify team whether sales tax (on a product by product basis) become available in Shopify anytime within the next few months. But in the meantime, I wondered if there are any work-arounds that others have found. Just wondered if there might be some clever way to 'express' the VAT aspect when displayed and on the invoice that customers receive - that would satisfy the authorities. Thanks, Simon
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 0

Think out loud (as it were) I’m wondering if there’s a way to force Shopify to add an additional product when one product is selected (so you’d have the product PLUS a second product that adds the VAT).

Only issue might be the way the VAT is expressed on paperwork.

Any thoughts on possible solutions would be much appreciated!

Simon

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 1 314

Think out loud (as it were) I’m wondering if there’s a way to force Shopify to add an additional product when one product is selected.

Yes, certainly, and that’s very easy.

Example:

<form action="/cart/add" method="post">
<input type="hidden" value="VARIANT_ID_OF_PRODUCT_ADDED_AUTOMAGICALLY" name="id[]" />
</form>
Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
283 0 2

Can I second the request for VATable and no VATable items.

“All” it would take would be to have a tick box on any given product which says “Charge Sales Tax” on this item.

This could then be left unticked on non-VATable items.

This is a problem at the moment for a client of mine (Londinium Espresso).

They sell coffee, which isn’t VATable as it’s a food item.

They also sell espresso machines, which ARE VATable.

I realize it would probably have implications on other areas of the code, but if Tobi and the team could add it to their to-do list it would be much appreciated.

I don’t think this is an edge case .. there are lots of retailers who sell some VATable items and some non-vatable items.

Richard Quick - Finalist: SxSW Web Awards 2009 (CSS Category) - SEO and Web design - http://www.successfulsites.co.uk - http://www.mailright.co.uk
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I totally agree with Richard. We need a button to click which says No tax.
On my Ridgwell Press site I sell CDs and downloads which include VAT, and lots of books which don’t.
Currently books sales are up and I am having to refund VAT to all my customers who have paid VAT and apologise that my website is making this error. This is time consuming and messy. I previously used Actinic as my ecommerce system and it had the no tax feature.
Hope this can be done soon.
Jenny Ridgwell
www.nutritionprogram.co.uk
www.ridgwellpress.co.uk

0 Likes