i think the title says what i want to do. however shopify manual says "Enter the name of the collection you want to add this product to. If the collection does not already exist, one will be created for you. You can only add a product to one collection using this method."
Is there any workaround? it would save us a lot of time.
thanks in advance
Hi George, it's Jelle one of the Shopify Gurus!
Using the CSV method you can only assign a product to one collection, that is correct.
If you want the products to belong ot multiple collections it would be better to create these collections as automatic collections based on product tags, see this page on how to do this -> https://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/collections/add-automatic-collection
And then add the correct tags to the products in the csv file. After the file has been uploaded the products will automatically be put in the correct collections.
I am surprised that after almost 4 years this is still the same. My problem is that automatic collections have a limitation of 5000. How can we add to CSV file more then one collection? Is there a different answer after 4 years?
I experimented and found the following works to add a product to multiple Collections using the CSV upload
- create CSV file adding Collection to the last column
- enter the first collection name
- upload the CSV file
- open the CSV file and change the first Collection name to the name of the Second Collection
- Upload the CSV files
- this part is counter intuitive
- When the Import products by CSV window pops up CLICK the Overwrite any products that have the same handle button
- The import will not delete the first Collection, but will add the second Collection to the Product
- go to PRODUCTS enter the Product Title and verify both Collections are included
I suggest trying with a couple of products
I've done this multiple CSV entry for 100s of products using the CSV file and works