approval for food

Solved
3 0 0

Hello, I have some question that comes to mind about the conditions in the stores.

Sell food in a store. Do I have to have an approval for food. I would like to sell local products.

---

To approach producers or suppliers, should I have already started a business?

---

I have more to ask, I will ask them later in a new discussion

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
532 34 74
Hey, there.

It's Dallas from the Social Care Team. 

That's a great question and it's good that you're thinking about that ahead of time. 

As far as Shopify is concerned you don't really need any documentation when it comes to selling food. You'd just have to make sure that your products meet the requirements of the Shopify Payments Terms of Service Section B.5. However, that'd only be applicable if you were to actually use the Shopify Payments system. May I ask what country you're located in? 

As far as the actual food documentation necessary to start a food business you're going to want to talk with a local law professional. Or you'll need to at least do some research as to the restrictions both when it comes to selling food as part of a business and when you're selling food online. 

I know in some cities/countries there is a document called Food Safe, and it's a certification that you have to complete in order to work with food. In order to possibly avoid any legal issues, you'll most definitely want to talk with a local legal professional to see what's the best option for you. 

As far as the right time to approach suppliers, it'll really depend on the structure and set up of your business. If you need to know about your suppliers before you can set up your business, then you'll want to talk to them first. If you need to set up your business before you approach your suppliers to make your business more established then you might need to take the steps to make your business official first. 

I think for you the very first step will be to reach out to a business/legal professional in order to see what the right steps are for you personally and for what you're wanting to do. 

Although I can't advise on the technical aspects of legal advice, like your questions above, if you'd like to give me a bit more information about your business idea I'd love to see if I can help in any other ways. 

Another thing to note is that you're still able to make a trial for a Shopify store to get a feel for how the system works and start brainstorming how you want to design your store even if you're not ready to actually start your business. In order to do that you can just sign up at this link here. The trial is for 14 days and is completely free so you also don't have to add a credit card. It's a fully free trial. The only time you'll need to add your card will be when the trial is over and you want to set up your store for business operations or if you want to make sales. I hope that helps to answer your question! 

However, please still let me know more about your business so I can try and give you some more resources!
Best, 

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
3 0 0

Hello,
For your question.
[...] Shopify Payments system. May I ask what country are you in?
I am in Finistere in Brittany in France

I will inquire for the Food Safe document as I would like to take advantage of e-commerce for market gardeners, beekeepers or local herbs growers

A good friend who is an entrepreneur advised me the status of "simple micro-entrepreneur" for my company.

As I already had more than 5 shops thanks to Shopify that worked. I wanted to know if it's possible to create a business name that would take the 5 shops for example as franchises or it's 5 different companies

thanks for your help

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
532 34 74

I see! If you're in France then you won't have to worry as Shopify Payments isn't available there. In that case, you'll want to choose one of these payment gateways. As far as their rules for processing payments for food products, I can't give any additional advice or information as I am not privy to that information, unfortunately. If you reach out to them, however, they should be able to answer any questions that you might have!  

As I already had more than 5 shops thanks to Shopify that worked. I wanted to know if it's possible to create a business name that would take the 5 shops for example as franchises or it's 5 different companies

Can you clarify what you're meaning in the statement above? Are you wanting to connect your 5 stores together? Maybe something like our locations feature is what you're looking for? 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hello,

Thanks for the help.

I do not want to connect my 5 shop as it remains an asset these days. I anticipate and resign myself before catastrophes happen.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
532 34 74

I completely understand! The best thing to do is to make sure that you're fully comfortable with what you're doing.

If you have any other questions at all please don't hesitate to reach out and ask me. 

Best, 

0 Likes