can't decide to use Shopify or some other platform

Tourist
3 0 5
@Paul Andrew I just don't like the fact that you can't contact customer service via telephone and I've read a lot of bad reviews about Stripe holding funds for no reason. I'm happy with my processor and I've been using them for years with zero issues. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I have 2 stores on the $30 per month platform with a few extra per month add ons. I may bump my main site up to the next package to compare the increase vs. less processing charges but by my calculation it's still going to average out the same or maybe even a little more. Right now I'm basically paying over $200 a month for my main site.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
58 0 4

Ibe from http://hauteflair.com: whcih app are you using for your email popup? it's more aggressive than the one that comes with my theme and i would like to give it a try.

Love your site!

0 Likes
2 0 0

If you value reports of net (what you sold - refunds) DON'T use shopify! I was unfortunate enough to sign up for a year after I had tried it for the two week trial. Because you could save money if you pay for a year... Anyway after several refunds my reports are just plain screwed over. I have an idea, but that idea doesn't match what I've sold. After refunding, cancelling and deleting orders you would think they wouldn't mess up your reports right? WRONG! You would think after only using the service for a month and a half Shopify would be kind enough to at least refund part of my $1200 that I paid up front right? WRONG! If you can use shopify you can use Wordpress and if you use Wordpress you can use woocommerce. Get an account with blue host for hosting and everything will be smooth sailing! I switched to Woocommerce and am using SQUARE for the POS. Square has some better features to the POS if you need it and Shopify has a few nicer features about theirs but square doesn't charge you the $40/month to have a POS. Anything that you can do with shopify you can do with woocommerce!

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have tried the Volusion and Shopify on my onlinegiftsmalaysia.com. For the ease of use and support, Shopify still the best. I can easily built a site with zero coding knowledge. Their online support is very helpful and precise.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Jean Paul, Shopify is very legit. I have reviewed all the most popular website hosts in my book which can save you a ton of time and money - Here is the Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1MzDDvV

My author website: www.karenfielden.com

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 3

Thanks @ruthsbeauty.myshopify.com. Using MailChimp! You have to embade the codes from Mailchimp into your site.

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 0 5

agree on the email!!

0 Likes
Excursionist
55 0 9

@Thomas thanks for that, yeah I ws curious because we processed over 300K with them last year, this year will be even more and I never had any issues with them, monies settled into our account within a couple of work days. Yeah they can be hard to get ahold of but we only use Stripe because our customer base is 95% international ( we are based in australia) and processors here want more than 4.2% per trans for mainly international sales....just 1.7% which is if we only sold to the Aus market. I wish we were based in the US, you guys got access to great postage rates and even better payment processors ....anyway I just wanted to see what issues you had is all, out of curiosity...cheers for the reply and I guess everyone has their own experiences. And yes, if your spending 200 as it is you may want to look at the upgrade, may be worth it in the end. Just cos it aint broke doesnt mean it works as well as it should either lol...cheers mate

WizardPatch Custom Embroidered Patches, Over 300,000 patches in stock with same day shipping from Sydney Australia, suppliers to Biker communites, all clubs and organizations and to the film and TV industry worldwide.
1 Like
1 0 3

We are currently using Shopify but will be switching to Big Commerce. It's our experience that if you run a small shop or one with very few items, then Shopify may be OK provided you have good margins and can absorb all the "extras" they charge you for.

Our biggest problem is with the fact that they force you to use their Credit Card Processsor. We have used Stripe before on a different platform and had trouble with them on chargebacks. Unfortunately, we didn't pick up on the fact that Shopify Payments is run by Stripe. Shopify promised us that they would be handling any issues we may have in house and would take good care of our account. BS! Stripe has NO phone support, EVERYTHING has to be done by email. In just 2 weeks, we have been hit with 4 fraudulent orders, all of which Shopify identified as LOW risk. Those orders totaled up to over $12,000. In the past, we have provided shipping confirmation to Stripe only to be told 'SORRY, BUT YOU LOST THIS DISPUTE". In other words not only are you out the money, you also lose the products you shipped out, they charge you $15.00 dispute fee AND keep the credit card fee they charged you to run the transaction. It's truly a rip-off! We have been in business for over 35 years and have NEVER once had a fraudulent credit card transaction until we used Stripe. I firmly believe these people who use stolen cards target Shopify and Stripe because the security is so non-existent. 

Bottom line is, if you have another option, I would use it. Shopify + Stripe = Disaster take it from someone who has been there.

Good luck!

Ben

3 Likes
Excursionist
55 0 9

@BEN 

customers wont know your using stripe for your payments before they purchase from you. Not unless your advertising it somewhere on your site.

4 orders and totals 12K in sales, wow, I would look at bank transfers only for items that expensive!! We never take CC payment for more than 1500 K and you can spot a fake card or fraudulent order usually a mile off 95% of the time...I believe what your saying on face value, but i suggest there is more to this than just what you wrote above. 

I cant comment on the shopify payments system from here in sydney, as we have no access, but if its just using stripe as the processor then i cant imagine its any different really.

To be honest, all platforms have their pros and cons, you will find many with big commerce my friend, you will see. best thing is to get your wn server and run your own site, control the lot, thats what we are doing from early next year, works out better value too when you compare to other offerrings like shopify plus etc...wow, thats a rip!

edit: 2 things Ben, 1, if in doubt there are a few things we do to check on cards, no sure fire way but can help. refund an ammount like 0.06 cents back to the card, then tell the customer as part of security you need them to log into their bank or somehow check their statement, internet banking is faster, around a few days, and once they confirm the amount takn not only does that help with understanding that the customer can access more than just their card details, it also helps knowing you have some more proof that the customer did in fact knowingly purchase the product, good for claims etc when asked for supporting info. 2. always check for higher value purchases especially ones that pay extra for super fast shipping. 

3. google the subject , you will find a many good ways to combat fraud, but you will of course just like me never rid yourself of the chance to be taken for a ride! Good luck ben hope that helps.

WizardPatch Custom Embroidered Patches, Over 300,000 patches in stock with same day shipping from Sydney Australia, suppliers to Biker communites, all clubs and organizations and to the film and TV industry worldwide.
0 Likes