cancelled order not refunding full amount?

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

I placed a test order for a .75 item  shipping was 3.54  taxes were .31  total 4.60   I then removed the item, cancelled the order, refunded etc  and it's telling me I still owe the  customer 81c   ????  First of all, where's the 50c coming from   I'm assuming it didn't refund the taxes and my first question is why? but then what's the extra 50c  and how do I get it to totally refund.  status is partially refunded.

I'm so confused.

Replies 13 (13)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @TAGSAngel

Could you share a few screenshots of the order, and the order timeline while blurring out any sensitive information so I can see what you're seeing on your end? Could you also let me know what payment processor was used to process the payment? 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

Hi Peter  Thanks for responding  Here's the screen shots.  Assuming these are enough? If not, let me know what else you need please.

Capture3.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TAGSAngel 

Thanks for those! I can see that you edited the order which is not an action that would typically be required during the refund and cancelling process. Based on your initial reply, you mentioned you removed the item which I suspect is the reason why there's now a discrepancy. If the item was removed, there is no longer an item to refund outside of the shipping and tax. However; the system does appear to have refunded the order correctly: 

• $3.54 (shipping) x 1.07 (tax) = $3.78 (amount was rounded up to get $3.79)
  • $0.75 (product) x 1.07 (tax) = $0.80 (you're seeing $0.81 because of the shipping being rounded up)
  • Difference between the cost of what was refunded and the total cost is $0.81

These are rough estimates, and may not be entirely accurate without looking at the order directly.

When refunding the order, it would allow you to restock the item which would be the process you want to take in the future instead of editing the order to remove the product. More information on the refund and cancelling steps can be found here

If you're not seeing an option to fully refund the remaining amount then it is likely due to having the product removed. Are you able to edit the order and add the product back in, then process the refund? Or is the option to edit and/or refund completely removed?

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

OK yes, I removed the item (thinking that was what I needed to do - I'm still very new at this and I don't get cancellations so didn't really know how to deal with it.
but no I cannot edit it Canceled orders can’t be edited. 

I mean, it's my own credit card and my own test order (which I made because I changed around the order confirmation that went to me and I wanted to see it.  (after I did it I realized that I could send myself a test email.... duhhhhh..

I dont' care about the 81c I mean I'm sure I'm paying more than that in the fees to place the order/refund the order but Ijust dont' want things lingering in abeyance maybe messing things up somewhere else down the road.
Is there no way to clear it off since I can't add it back?

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

Peter, I don't know how to tag you in my reply above so you will see it.   @Trevor  (ok I guess it was as easy as that  lol)  

And.... Since you're a Shopify "Staff"  Could you please get someone from the "simple theme" team to look at the shipping calculator posts on the forum. Everyone from every other theme gets it to work but not "Simple Theme"  We'd all really appreciate the help on that one.  Thank you.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TAGSAngel 

The option to refund should still appear; however, if you're having issues getting the leftover balance refunded then I'll want to take a direct look at the order to see what I can find out for you. I've gone ahead and shipped you an email to verify the store. If you can reply to that email with the requested information then I can have the order reviewed. 

As for the second question, as far as I know, a shipping calculator is not natively added to the Simple theme. Are you using an app to get this added, or a tutorial?

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

@Trevor 

I used the tutorial (several times and several different versions of the code)  1 version of the code leaves the collection images with zero opacity (or similar) the other is fine but neither result in any rates quotes.  Everyone else on that thread using simple theme has similar issues.   It will tell you that the zip code doesn't match the state if an inaccurate match is put in, but it will not give you rates.
I've used both versions of  rates start at  and all rates available.

I've changed placement of the code as per other's suggestions etc etc.  I've gone through that whole thread and every version of the code several times to no avail.  (as have others)  It works seamlessly on supply theme (with a tweak here and there) so I do understand how to do the coding but there are a few differences with what files simple code has and doesn't have, but again I've followed the tutorial to the letter and then tweaked according to suggestions when it didn't work.

If one of the developers from simple theme can figure the whole thing out and re-post the tutorial I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy!

As per the cancelled order.... I'll go look for your email now.  Thank you

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TAGSAngel 

Could you share a link to the tutorial? If this is a Shopify provided tutorial and is not considered to be an "advanced tutorial" created by our teams, then we might be able to help get this added. However; if you are following a third-party tutorial, or if it is an advanced Shopify tutorial, then it would require the help of a developer as this request would fall outside the scope of what we can support. 

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

@Trevor 

Unfortunately, it seems to be advanced.  But again, works ok with every other theme except simple theme. 
😞I mean if they're calling it advanced because you need some understanding of the liquid files etc I think everyone who has tried has it pretty much down pat.  I myself have gotten it to work on a different theme with ease.  It's an issue with the simple theme.  And I'm sure if the Simple Theme Team would just take a look at it, they can figure out how to fix it and post their changes to the code.
I mean I'm sure they want their users to be able to utilize this important feature  (no customers wants to go through 80% of check out before figuring out if they want to pay the shipping fees or not.  It causes an increase in abandoned carts.

.https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Cart-Add-a-shipping-rates-calculator-to-your-cart/td-...

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TAGSAngel 

Every theme is structured differently which is why some tutorials will work on some themes but not others as it really falls down to how it was coded. While I can fully appreciate the need for getting this added, and why it is important, this is something that would fall outside the scope of our support. It will require reaching out to a developer or creating a new post within the "Shopify Design" thread to gain assistance with getting this feature added to your theme. There are also a number of shipping calculator apps that you can use from the app store to get this added if you're having trouble getting the tutorial to work with the theme you're using. 

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

@Trevor   the "shipping calculator" IS in the shopify design section.  that's where the tutorial is from.  Everyone that's using simple theme has posted how it doesn't work and that we would all like it to work but it seems those pleas are not being noticed.  That's why I asked you if you can just get the simple theme team involved.  Unfortunately on most tutorials people report that simple theme doesn't work.  😞    I've had similar issues trying to get split description to work as well  I just gave up on that and gave it my own work around.  Simple theme seems to be the only one with the left menu which I think is why people like it. But it's code style seems to keep us from using quite a few things that other shopify themes handle easily. 

😞There really aren't that many in the app store that show the shipping price estimate on the cart page without any bells and whistles.  Plus, what happens when someone is using a vpn  the geo-location ones will "I think" not show a correct rate.  Or, what happens when the item is being shipped to a gift recipient at a different location?  It's much easier just to type in a state and zip code of where the item is going to be shipped.

If you can give me more direction to how to get this in the works, I'd appreciate it.  And I'm sure others would too.
Thanks

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TAGSAngel 

To provide some context, the Shopify Design thread is a public thread for all design-related questions that our Community members have. However; while there are tutorials provided in the Design thread, we can not guarantee that the tutorials will work with a specific theme, nor provide support on making the changes if it is an advanced tutorial. In addition to this, our frontline support members are not trained in HTML/CSS so I'm afraid I would be unable to provide guidance on how to implement and/or fix the issue at hand. 

I have chatted with our Theme Support who confirmed the issue is not with the Simple theme specifically, but the tutorial itself. If codes were a puzzle set, this tutorial is either missing a piece or it has the wrong puzzle shape for the feature to work. From what I gathered, the javascript within the tutorial does not mix well with the Simple theme. As it is an advanced tutorial, we can not guarantee that the tutorial will work with every theme, even if it is a Shopify developed theme. That said, while we can not guarantee that this tutorial will be changed to work with Simple or have a new tutorial created, I have raised this with the creators of the tutorial to see if the tutorial can be updated. If our teams are able to do this, then Ty will update the original thread, or create a new thread depending on the route taken. I completely understand that this update is highly sought after, however, we would be unable to provide a timeline on when and if this will be done as it is an advanced unsupported tutorial which may require that you hire a developer in order to have this added to your store.

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

@Trevor   Thank you!!  That's the most that has been done to resolve this (since as far back as 2018 from what I can see)!   There's so many cool things that don't work with Simple theme unfortunately.  Even their own related products results are unrelated and with no logic. But again, it seems to be the only theme that has a left menu bar.  Don't get me wrong, there's some other nice features in Simple as well.   Too bad users couldn't test / critique themes or give suggestions.   Although I realize that might open a pandora's box too.... lol    Most users certainly don't understand development logic, but a lot of developers don't understand actual use.  
But, I've been on that soap box forever, so I will step down now   lol
Again, thank you so much for your efforts.  Hopefully, it might actually make it happen!