cart hold

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I get alot of complaints from customers that a product will be in stock and they are able to add to cart but then it is gone when they hit check-out. I know there is a 5 minute cart hold but many are saying they immediately check-out and the product is gone. Can anyone give me a reason why? I need an explaination for this and why and or how to my long list of angry customers.

Thanks. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
112 0 24

Hi, April!

I’m Shay, a Shopify Guru. 

When a customer proceeds to the actual checkout pages, the inventory is held for 5 minutes to allow them time to complete their order. If they take longer than that or leave checkout, the hold expires. If you have a popular item (congrats on that :)) then it can be the case that customers see the item as unavailable if others are seemingly ordering it during that same period if time - depending on your quantity and the number of customers and their progress in the order. Ultimately this is meant to ensure the customer who wants to order the item is given enough time to have their chance to do so. Of course it is a bit of a first come, first serve situation.

If this comes up often and you want to change it,  you could:

- pad the inventory by X number of items to allow a bit of leeway
- allow overselling on the item
- add a message on the product page that stock is replenished frequently so if they see an out of stock message, check back shortly (or in X time frame)

If you do allow overselling you can always keep an eye on your stock levels and stop overselling if need be. In the case of an item you don't have and cannot get for a lengthy period of time but didn't realize in time to stop the overselling, if an order did come in, you can reach out to the customer and let them know the situation and offer a full refund if they aren't wanting to wait for it to come in.

Reach out to the Guru team if you have any questions!

Shay

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

That completely did not answer my question. As I already stated I know about cart hold. But I already chatted with a guru who was able to answer the question with complaint emails I provided with the problem. Thanks, anyway!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi April,

Was shopify able to set you up with a cart hold that works before customers move to the checkout page? I am currently working on a site as well where a cart hold is very important to customers. As we expect most inventory to sell quickly during launches, we'd like customers to be able to hold items for 5-10 minutes so they can fill their cart with everything they want and complete their order without losing their cart. It seems like Shopify doesn't want to support this functionality, and I haven't located an app this will do so.

Thanks!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
28 0 5

Hi April, (and curioususer)

I am currently working with an online retailer that does flash sales, almost weekly.  After moving to the Shopify platform, she had the exact same issue.  I can't imagine how let down someone would feel after picking something they wanted so badly, putting it in their cart, only to find out when they go to make payment, that the items were no longer available.

I will be releasing the "Cart Hold" product under a new company I'm founding "Bright Dime".  Bright Dime's mission is to utilize the latest web technologies to solve problems effecting online shops of today (much different than even 5-7 years ago), and provide features which will make up the online shops of tomorrow.

If you would like to, or know anyone that would like to sign up to be a part of the private beta launch (starting in the next few weeks), please sign up using the form at: http://www.brightdime.com/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Phil Spitler
phil@brightdime.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
28 0 5

UPDATE:

Cart Hold should be released Monday July 3rd.

Also, domain and email change.

http://www.carthold.com

phil@carthold.com

I look forward to providing ecommerce vendors the modern tools of today's web.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
28 0 5

And we are live.

Thank you for your patience.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

You can install the app at http://shopify.carthold.com

Phil

phil@carthold.com

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey Phil,

What happened to your app?

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
28 0 5

Woops, just saw this Steve.  It's back in the app store now.  They changed their policy on what they would allow in the app store.  They have to approve everything now.  It's been approved.

Thanks!

Phil

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
28 0 5

Update for everyone... The app is "Real-Time Cart Hold" and it's available through the app store now at https://apps.shopify.com/carthold

I just release version 2 this evening.

Instead of the above email, I can now, and always, be reached at phil@sproutkey.com

Thank you!

Phil

0 Likes