Solved

How do I configure a .com.au domain on an e-commerce platform?

olimpiakamini
Visitor
2 0 0

Ho do I set up .com.au domain on shopify

Accepted Solution (1)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @olimpiakamini,

@CMather hit the nail on the head here. You will first need to purchase a .com.au domain from a domain provider (such as GoDaddy) as Shopify is unable to sell .com.au domains. Once done, you can add it to your store and if you wish, make it your primary domain.  The .myshopify.com URL will be your default primary domain until you change it.

Do you have any other questions about your store set up? If so, let me know! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

CMather
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

Hello,

The same way you would add any other domain name.

Go to Online Store > Domains > Add your domain name > Connect Existing Domain Name

Once done add the IP address and CNAME to the .COM.AU Registrar in Australia.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/domains/add-a-domain/using-existing-domains/connecti...

Cheers,

Chris

CMather.com Web Development - Australia

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @olimpiakamini,

@CMather hit the nail on the head here. You will first need to purchase a .com.au domain from a domain provider (such as GoDaddy) as Shopify is unable to sell .com.au domains. Once done, you can add it to your store and if you wish, make it your primary domain.  The .myshopify.com URL will be your default primary domain until you change it.

Do you have any other questions about your store set up? If so, let me know! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

petobsessed
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

i am having problems with this and support seem to be clueless. Can i transfer my .com.au domain to Shopify and then shopify host the site? or I have to pay for my own hosting on top (even though it is included in the price?) thus making it better if i go back to bigcommerce instead of shopify? hoping to get a response asap thanks

CMather
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

As far as I know  - No, you can't transfer a .COM.AU domain since this is linked with your ABN and is considered an international domain name.

You don't need your own hosting.

Simply go to the domain registrar where you bought your .COM.AU and change your zone DNS.

This should be free with all the popular domain registrars like VentraIP, Crazy Domains and GoDaddy. 

It's best to have your own domain registrar to control your domain names and renew them, in Australian dollars. Which should be around $60.00 for every 2 years. (in GST). 

Let me know if you need more info.

petobsessed
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thats not what support is saying... without nameservers, i am struggling to point the domain towards shopify.

Can you please help get around this?

Host papa, are also saying it is not possible.

So i am just a bit bewildered right now. thanks

CMather
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

I dont know your circumstances or your individual setups for your domain and we don't provide technical support over chat.

But you dont change nameservers for Shopify from your existing DNS zones. If you do your email and other applications will stop working. If you need technical help either over the phone or email, contact us. We are in Australia.

petobsessed
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

ok, can i please have the phone number for tech help and are they available on sundays? 

thanks

CMather
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

We dont work for Shopify, we create Shopify sites and provide support for our customers.

If you need to contact us, visit our website in the signature and send you details and we can have a look into it.