cost of goods sold- update?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 33

It has been a while since i have heard an answer.

what is the status of adding a field to reflect a product variant cost. it seems so basic to add this field. Shopify reporting would then become an almost all in one platform, especailly for those of us that use shopify payments. 

imagine logging in and seeing a daily profit field,which could take sales - cost of goods sold- payment fees? or at least running a report showing month end results? 

please let us know what the status is!

1 Like
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

https://apps.shopify.com/profiteer-cost-of-goods-sold

With that App you get your field, and some reporting. I take reasonable requests too. For example, I will be adding a simple report that tells you your COGS on any specific day. Apparently that is handy for certain tax jurisdictions.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Explorer
58 0 16

I'm about to uninstall the app. It doesn't offer enough data. 

Why not have it display all the items that sold that day and have a % of profit etc. Right now it only displays you made 1200 in profit etc. Which is useless really. I'd rather know what products I sold that day at a glace to get that much profit.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

Thanks Cory! 

Instead of calling the App useless as it did not provide you with your specific needs with a bow on it, why not just ask nicely for that feature? I offer my phone number, email address, and always ask for feedback for just that purpose. Making my Apps better for merchants. The App can now support a practically infinite amount of neat reporting with the collected supporting data. Until merchants ask for features, you may not see them.

Now that you have asked for something, I will consider adding that feature since guess what? No one has ever asked for it, and it seems likes a good thing. The App is new, and fills in a gaping hole driven by previous requests. It does not exist in some chiselled in stone vacuum of outer space. It can evolve in mere minutes or perhaps hours. 

Again... Thanks! Much appreciate the hot tip.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like
Tourist
7 0 3

COG is a basic field in the product attributes Shopify should provide.  I have not come across any other system or POS that doesn't have this built in.  At the end of the day we need to see what our margin was for the day/week/month/quarter/year or in any date range we choose.  This is the most basic reporting any system should have.

It is ridiculous to have to install an external app for something shopify should be including in the first place. It is also ridiculous to ask shop owners to export to a file just to input COG for products.  It all should be right there in the product fields in admin like just about any other ecommerce softwares out there that we have used in the past.

To be paying for the ecommerce service as well as the POS system, I expect to be able to see an accurate snapshop of my on hand inventory cost at any time. Not just what's sold.  Shopify has been severely disappointing in many ways so far, however, we have invested too much time into making it work to back out.  This really has been a huge regret and we really should have just stuck with big commerce or any other platform that provides all the basic features required to run a business properly.

3 Likes
1 0 1

Any updates on this?

1 Like
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

Profiteer allows you to input COGS while you are editing a product. The most recent update from two days ago now allows you to set one COGS for all variants with one click too. So if you have 100 variants of a product that all cost $10 you can set that with the fewest keystrokes possible. Nothing like making life easier for merchants.

0 Likes