Solved

.csv Import error / Selected column types invalid CSV-Header: Missing Header: Title.

therealdendeman
Tourist
3 0 1

Aloha Community,

I am trying to import a list of only 4 products (so far that was all meant to be as a test). I am using three of my already existing pructs as I am downloading a .csv export open it within excel, add another line with very simple information of the 4th product. Afterwards I am trying to upload the .csv flatfile but it always shows me the following error message:

• Selected column types Ungültiger CSV-Header: Fehlende Header: Title. (german note)
  • Selected column types invalid CSV header: missing header: title  (english note)

The header exists (I left it out and filled it back in only to try), the formating of the data is correct, as well as the .csv is saved as UTF-8. I feel like being within a loop trying over and over again and would appreciate your help.

To all the Gurus out there: Yes the header has the correct form which is why I am not sure if that error message is the correct one.

Appreciate your feedback and support

Accepted Solution (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks, Daniel! 

Reviewing the CSV file, nothing pops out at me that would explain why you're getting that error. In most cases, when a CSV file looks near perfect, and you still get an error then it's almost always a formatting issue. I copied and pasted the contents into a new CSV file which seemed to fix the problem as I was able to successfully import the file to my test store without any errors. You'll find the CSV I tested with here

Let me know if you run into any other issues! 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 33 (33)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @therealdendeman!

Happy to help get this looked into! Would you mind uploading your CSV file to Settings/Files, then posting the URL that is created in a reply below? This way, I can test the CSV on my side and properly troubleshoot the errors you're seeing. 

Chat soon!

therealdendeman
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Trevor ,

thank you for getting back to me asap.

This is the super small flatfile that we've created. The final line is customized while therest is based on a former export of sample products.

Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Daniel

test_import.csv

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks, Daniel! 

Reviewing the CSV file, nothing pops out at me that would explain why you're getting that error. In most cases, when a CSV file looks near perfect, and you still get an error then it's almost always a formatting issue. I copied and pasted the contents into a new CSV file which seemed to fix the problem as I was able to successfully import the file to my test store without any errors. You'll find the CSV I tested with here

Let me know if you run into any other issues! 

therealdendeman
Tourist
3 0 1

Dear Peter,

thanks a lot for your help! I tried to keep it as simple as possible to check the functionality. It makes total sense to me and I am very happy about your super quick solution. Are you using a spreadsheet-software to handel your .csv's, like excel?

All the best,

Daniel

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@therealdendeman 

We wouldn't recommend using Excel tends to change characters when saving to CSV format, which can cause issues with importing the file to Shopify. I use Numbers (available for Apple devices); however, you can also use Google Sheets if you don't use an Apple device.

Christin
Excursionist
18 1 8

Hello Peter, I have the same issue.

As I am trying to upload my file it shows the following:

• Illegal quoting in line 11. (When I delete line 11, and upload again it shows illegal quoting in line 7)
  • Selected column types Ungültiger CSV-Header: Fehlende Header: Title

I tried what you mentioned but it is not helping. I think my settings are alright. I received that file from my wholesaler, so the file should also be alright.

Can I ask Shoppify administrator for help inthis case? Im new to shopify and usinfg this Community for the first time.

Thank you

Christin

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Christin 

If the file is provided to you by a wholesaler, then there is a good chance that it won't fully align with what our system requires in a CSV file. I'd recommend downloading our CSV template here and reviewing our detailed list of required columns here. If you're still having issues with your file after reviewing the template and required columns, then feel free to post a few screenshots of your CSV file (including the titles of the columns), so I can take a look!

Christin
Excursionist
18 1 8

Hi Peter,

thank you for your helpful links.

In the end I copied my list to google sheets, saved and imported my csv to shopify. Then it was working!

Christin

CristobalW
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Christin, im having the exact same problem as you.

Could you please tell me how did you import your cvs from google sheets to your shopify?

thanks a lot!

Christin
Excursionist
18 1 8

Hi CristobalW,

In your shopify store you go to "products" an click on "import"

Is this what you eere asking for?

Christinproduct-import.JPG

darren_lawlor
Visitor
3 0 0

screenshot.jpg

HI folks, I am really hoping someone can help me here as I am at my wits end....I have attached a screenshot of a wholesalers CSV file. I have used this file to import products but I am having no luck whatsoever trying yo use it to update inventory numbers...I keep getting various faults...missing headings initially. I inserted what I thought were the missing columns/headings and now I am getting an email telling me that "Line 2: Couldn't be updated because the handle doesn't match what's in Shopify" for ALL 5992 lines....

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@darren_lawlor 

We would typically recommend ensuring that your CSV file matches what our system requires for headers/columns to ensure your products are uploaded/updated accordingly. If the headers/columns do not match, then our systems will have a hard time understanding what the columns are meant to be translated to, or will skip the column entirely. 

Based on the screenshot you provided, I can assume that the "Code" column would have been interpreted for the "handle" column our CSV format has. Given that you're getting the error that the handles do not match, I would recommend finding the product shown on line 2 within your admin. When you have that product open, scroll down to the bottom of the page where you see the "SEO" section. If you edit this section, you'll see the handle that has been applied to the product. Does the handle that appears here (i.e. domain.com/product/handle) match what you have within your CSV file? If no, then knowing the handle will give you a starting place for understanding how our system interpreted the original CSV file so you can update it accordingly. 

A possible workaround would be to export your products to a CSV file from the admin area. You'll then be able to see the layout of the CSV file required, but also would be able to update the inventory fields within a CSV file designed for our system. In theory, if you sorted your current CSV file by barcode, and then sorted the exported CSV by barcode, you could copy and paste the information over. Though, there may be formatting issues here depending on if the lines match up. 

maher_abd
Visitor
2 0 1
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @maher_abd

Taking a look at the CSV, the first thing that pops out is that you are missing "Option 1 Name" entries.20-04-es1hu-cyn8e

If the handle is different for every product, then our systems treat the product as a standalone product. Meaning that if you then have values in Option 1 Name & Option 1 Value, it will cause an error. The errors the CSV file generates are: 

• Line 2: Validation failed: You need to add option values for color
  • Line 86-87: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

These directly connect to how you have your option 1 name and value options setup. You will need to remove the values in these fields or set up the options correctly to resolve the errors you're seeing. I'd recommend reviewing our CSV help doc here for further insight on the columns and what they require. 

Other error messages to note: 

• Line 109: ignored because handle vol-1meetmattehugheslastin already exists.
  • Line 112: ignored because handle petaltothemetal-shiftinto already exists.
  • Line 138: ignored because handle ro-09-ro-60 already exists.

You can see these in the email that is sent to you after the CSV has imported. 

If you're still getting errors once you've fixed the Option 1 Name and Option 1 Value columns, then let me know by replying with the errors provided to you via email so I can take a look!

maher_abd
Visitor
2 0 1

thanks for your reply peter but i did that now and try one more time and still give me this message 

There was an error importing your CSV file. After you fix the error, try importing the CSV file again.

Invalid CSV Header: Missing headers: Title 

now i  try to import the new file to receive the help in my email but it didn't arrive

could you help me one more time to now what is the proplem ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GCYwj0lnPzmQNOJILReZUbpCBfk0bBperXuUTeoWWV0/edit?usp=sharing

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@maher_abd 

The CSV you have linked is empty, so I am unable to review the issue further. With that said, the error you are seeing could be a formatting issue. I'd recommend downloading the CSV template here, then copying and pasting everything into the new sheet and trying again. You will want to ensure that the headers remain the same, as shown in the template. 

hellofellow
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Peter,

same issue here, and tried asking via chat and email, and one Shopify Guru named Taylor did not help at all. She's addressing the problem that I was asking her in the first place... I got so confused >_<

anyhow I tried exporting my products, editing the csv file using Numbers, export with unicode UTF-8 format and import back to Shopify

but still getting the same error message:

"There was an error importing your CSV file. After you fix the error, try importing the CSV file again.

• Invalid CSV Header: Missing headers: Title."

Would appreciate some advice please Thank You!

here is the link to my file 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@hellofellow 

It looks like it is a formatting error. I copied and pasted the contents of your CSV into a new CSV, which worked. You can download the CSV I used here. Though, I will save you the trouble of importing that file and provide the errors of your CSV below. 

• Line 2-7: Validation failed: You need to add option values for Size
  • Line 8-15: Validation failed: You need to add option values for Size

The variants you have set up are incorrect. When adding "Option 1 Name," you then need to add the first variant option in "Option 1 Value" and not on the next line as you have it below. You also have "Title" and "Default Title," followed by variant options, which will cause your products to import incorrectly as you have not classified the correct name and value. 

20-04-n42a1-imti0

While the system only shows two errors, once you fix those lines, you will be greeted with further errors for the same reason throughout your CSV sheet. You will want to fix each product to save yourself time. 

hellofellow
Tourist
4 0 1
Hi Peter thank you!

will study this and try to follow your instructions

Cheers!
JuanRafael
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter... I have the same problem.  Can you please help me out?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@JuanRafael 

Can you confirm that you have reviewed the previous posts, and ensured those steps are resolved? If you're still facing issues with the CSV file after going through those steps, then please provide access to the CSV file you're using so I can review it further. If you do not feel comfortable providing the file in a public forum, let me know as I can reach out to you via email to obtain the file. 

liudoox
Visitor
2 0 2

Had same error, no solution from forums helped, but kept on trying and.. succeeded 🙂

The problem was with MS Excell (suspecting European formatting), but dind't want to mess with it.

Easy solution: open new google sheets online, copy everything from product excel to the google sheet and download it as .csv

works as a charm for me 🙂

itstaytime
Visitor
2 0 0

I would love some help with this same issue. I've tried all I can and have failed to upload anything after 9 attempts. Every line I get the exact same error message.I did already try the suggestions below. My title and handle are not identical with the dashes (as you showed in your example), but I did try a smaller sheet where I changed a few lines to be exactly the same (with dashes), and that did not work either. Any ideas? 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@itstaytime Can you share a sample CSV file you're working with? Feel free to PM me with the link if you'd prefer. I'll take a look.

itstaytime
Visitor
2 0 0
Thanks so much!
damiengogogo
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi, can you have a look on my csv file that isn't importing but i think everything is ok, following the infos of the help and support pages.

I tried and tried but can't import those 37 products!

Where could i send you this file Peter?

HELP

Thanks a lot!

Damien

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@damiengogogo 

Happy to review it. I've sent you an email to obtain the CSV file. 

damiengogogo
Tourist
7 0 0

Just sent you my file by email Peter, thanks for your help!

Peter, also, on the csv template you propose here https://help.shopify.com/csv/product_template.csv, the last column "Status" is missing no?

So I ad it on my file, you'll see.

Thanks again!

seasons-of-dawn
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Trevor.

Can you please look over my csv file? I've tried every which way to adjust it but I'm not an expert at this. Please help. 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@seasons-of-dawn 

What errors are you seeing? Taking a quick look at the file, I'd start with your variant lines. If you have variants, then you don't need the extra data: 

Before: 

03-12-11665-89338

After:

03-14-15377-32095

You'll see that you don't need to have a value in every row for Option 1/2/3 Name if you have variants. That said, you have values in Option 3 Name but no values in Option 3 values. Both columns need to be filled if you need to include a third option. Otherwise, remove the data found in the Option 3 name. 

Reefflex
Visitor
1 0 1

Hey Trevor I am getting the following Error codes when trying to import my CSV File 

• Line 3: Couldn't update because the options don't exist in Shopify.
  • Line 4: Couldn't be updated because the handle doesn't match what's in Shopify. 

It has skipped 935 lines. Could you check out my file and see whats wrong with it? 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Reefflex Status column near the end is empty in most rows. Pulling from the help doc: 

If this column is present, then it needs to have a value. If the column isn't present, then the product status is automatically uploaded as active

As this the column is present, it does need values, regardless of whether or not the row is for additional images. Also deleted columns AZ & BA. 

The images you're using in lines 4-19 are inaccessible, so that'll throw errors when trying to download the images during import. 

Line 2-3 handle "icp-analysis-mass-spec-test-for-saltwater" shares the same value as line 924, which will throw errors since they are considered the same product. 

Line 4 error isn't one I was able to reproduce, suggesting its unique to your store if you already have the product in your admin. This may be an issue with overwriting your existing product that shares this URL. Line 5 is a variant option, so you may want to add a value in the "Published" column and try again. 

If no luck with the error for Line 4, then I would suggest connecting with Shopify Support. 

TROAD
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Trevor I am getting the following Error when trying to import my CSV File

• Option value provided for unknown options

I have attached the csv file