customers are not receiving order confirmation emails

Explorer
44 0 23

Thanks @Nick. This is incredible! Shopify need to make more of this, it's quite hidden at the moment.

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi Forum and @Nick 

GoDaddy is our DNS provider and email provider and we have never had an issue with sending email notifications from Shopify using our custom url email sales@aestheticcontent.com.

Earlier this week, they migrated us from their webmail system to Outlook 365 and ever since our shop isn't sending notifications from Shopify. I just spent 3 hours on chat with GoDaddy support and they claim everything on their end is perfect - functioning correctly with no issues. Meanwhile, we can't send notifications and all the notifications from Shopify to us go directly into spam. 

Obviously the next few days are critical and we can't do basic things like create a draft order and send it to our customer. This is hindering our ability to do commerce on Shopify.

GoDaddy has been absolutely no help at all. How can we fix this with urgency so we can get back up and running to maximize sales before tomorrow?

0 Likes
Explorer
44 0 23

Hi @pfarrell, the problem is very clear — you have 7 separate SPF records!

v=spf1 include:secureserver.net -all
v=spf1 a mx ptr include:secureserver.net ~all
v=spf1 include:aesthetic-content.myshopify.com ~all
v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all
v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all
v=spf1 mx -all
v=spf1 include:www.acdcco.com ~all

You can only have 1 record. By having 7, your SPF is broken so your messages will be failing authentication.

Are you comfortable updating DNS records? If not let me know and I can help. I would suggest that you just want 1 single record like this:

v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all

The previous reference to secureserver.net isn't required anymore as that refers to GoDaddy's mail service.

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi @Sebastian_Young 

Thanks for this. Many of these SPF records were set up from the Shopify documentation, and some were set up from GoDaddy prior to and during the migration from Webmail to Outlook.

Shopify's documentation is frequently confusing and contradictory. In some pages, it says create a record that looks like X and in others, create a record that looks like Y.

Our email is failing the SPF test outside of the ones sent from Shopify. GoDaddy has been no help whatsoever. When I shared the failure report with them, they said everything is set perfectly. After spending many hours with their help desk, their attitude is 'you're sending and receiving emails from Outlook, so our job is done'. It is absolutely the worst customer service I have ever received.

What I need is to be able to send and receive normal emails within Outlook and for my Shopify store to be able to send and receive notifications using the same email address. So far, it is failing on both sides.

I am comfortable in changing the SPF records, however I need some specific guidance here:

If I delete these 7 records and create a new one, please confirm:

TYPE: TXT

NAME: @

VALUE: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all

TOTAL: 1 Hour

We're in the busiest weekend of the year. I can't get any support from Shopify (there is no help center ability to chat, call, email) and GoDaddy has been no help - referring me back to Shopify and to Outlooks disasterous help center with no ability to contact a live person. I am really in a an urgent state get what previously worked with no problems, working again.

0 Likes
Explorer
44 0 23
Hi @pfarrell, it can be confusing because sites provide a guide but can’t account for every include you might need in your record so it can sometimes sound like you need to create several SPF records, but you must only have one.

If you delete all of them and create one exactly as you just outlined, all should be good!
0 Likes
5 0 0

@Sebastian_Young Thank you - you are a lifesaver! Updating the records now.

0 Likes
Explorer
44 0 23

@pfarrell Looking good now! Hopefully this solves your issue.

0 Likes
5 0 0

@Sebastian_Young I deleted the old SPF records and added the new one per your suggestion.

We are receiving emails via outlook and are finally able to send notification from Shopify.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE (AND EVEN BETTER - A SOLUTION THAT WORKED)!

0 Likes
Explorer
44 0 23
@pfarrell Great news, happy to be able to help!
0 Likes