customers are not receiving order confirmation emails

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, 

When someone makes an order, I receive this email:

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

My customer also does not receive their confirmation email. How do I fix this ? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 253 613

Hi @Courtney123,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I'm wondering if you are using a third party domain for your store? The reason I ask is that it is very likely it is not set up correctly and that is the reason the notification emails are not being delivered. This is something you can check with your URL hereAdding Shopify's SPF & custom DKIM record should resolve this for you going forward. To do this, should use an email address associated with a custom domain and add a special kind of text record (TXT) to your domain called an SPF record.

v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all is the official SPF record that Shopify uses. You should add an @ as the name of their new TXT record. You can see an example in the screenshot below: 
13-05-3u7bv-lqkxt
Let me know if this could be the case and helps! 
All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 20

Hi @Nick, please can you elaborate on the “custom DKIM record” that you mentioned? Where can I find more information on this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 253 613

Hi @Sebastian_Young,

Shopify has an information guide with more information about the DKIM record which you can read here

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 20
Hi @Nick, this does not mention how to DKIM sign Shopify emails though, only what to do if you need to add a DKIM record for another service. Can you clarify?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 253 613

Hi @Sebastian_Young

There are a few benefits to adding these records. Let me touch on them below: 

• Emails are signed as coming from you, the store owner instead of via shopify.com (transactional emails) or via shopifyemail.com (for Shopify Email emails). This is better for both branding AND security because these previous options don’t confirm ownership of the store at any point, nor do they convey brand identity. 
  • By tying deliverability with the identity of the store owner, DKIM records will help sender emails form their own domain reputation with email clients. This will reduce the impact of other senders on the same IP address affecting their ability to get to their customers’ inboxes.

I hope this helps and answers your question.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 20
Hi @Nick, I fully agree but how do we sign emails from our domain that are being sent by Shopify? I cannot see a way to do this. Currently the emails sent from our domain by Shopify have SPF authentication but are being signed by shopify.com.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 253 613

Hi @Sebastian_Young

In this case, it more than likely means there's an issue with the SPF record, or lack thereof, on the custom domain name. The emails have to "flow" through their domain name before they get delivered to the recipient. 

To get this, v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all is the official SPF record that Shopify uses when setting it up with your domain provider. I've put a screenshot below of where this would look in your domain host or what title it is under. 

20-19-u5w0a-eip8j

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 20
Hi @Nick, SPF is already in place and this is fine, but emails are signed
by shopify.com. This is not ideal for DMARC. In your original message, you
mentioned "Adding Shopify's SPF & *custom DKIM record*". Can you provide
further information on the custom DKIM record?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 253 613

Hi @Sebastian_Young,

Here are the ways you can access the custom DKIM record:

1.) Access the Sender email settings page in the admin. This can be done via:

• Direct link: shopify.com/admin/settings/sender-email OR
  • Link to Settings from within Shopify Email Editor. This is within a draft email in Shopify Email, click on the hyperlinked ‘Edit’ button in the `From:` field:

26-01-gif0b-t92yz

2.) Click on `Authenticate`. This will only be available to eligible sender email domains.

26-01-t18hx-5j8is

3.) This will open a modal with the records to be input at the third-party domain provider

26-02-2oi05-z0lzb

For additional assistance inputting at the third-party domain provider, they should contact their provider’s support directly.

4.) Wait some time for the new domain records to propagate, which may take up to 24-48 hours but often is much faster. A banner will show that authentication is in progress:

26-02-1u47b-66x7v

5.) The banner will eventually show either that the domain has been successfully authenticated, or that it has failed authentication:

26-03-bo0mm-26uy7

26-03-c1yh0-115oi

Something else to note is that multiple DKIM values can co-exist and won't interact. The DKIM records would be generated from your domain host after the domain has been created.

0 Likes