delete order is gone?

Explorer
125 0 15

I see this was removed, does anyone know why?  I have orders I have cancelled and refunded and wanted to remove them from orders by deleting them.  Used to be able to but they seemed to have removed it

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
535 24 88

You can only archive orders, I believe. I would assume Shopify needs to keep a record of orders for auditing purposes, which is probably also true for most shop owners. Even if you cancel and refund an order, you probably still want/need a record of the transaction.

★ ThemeUp: Nifty Upgrades for your Shopify Store ★ https://themeup.net
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
60 0 7

Hey Jai, and Thomas! 

Iain here, 

Thanks so much for the post here! And Thomas is right on the mark behind the why of this change.  We partly removed this ability as it is better for merchants to archive things rather than delete them for auditing purposes and also to protect merchants in situations where chargebacks have been placed on deleted orders. And Thomas is right on point about archiving orders rather than cancelling them to keep the record of the data. We have updated our docs (Here) to reflect the new changes as well. 

I hope that helps bring some clarity ☺ And as always you can reach out to us 24/7 by phone, chat or, email (here)

Iain Russell || Shopify Guru
24/7 365

Iain Russell || Shopify Guru 24/7 365
0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction regarding the removal of this feature, which I depend on for the sort of business I do.  When selling software licenses, it's quite common for licensees to want to transfer their license to another party.  The order deletion feature made that easy; as it should be.  That, of course, was a feature that I made sure that Shopify offered during the trial phase.  I'm quite shocked at its removal.

I've talked to support who said they would escalate the issue, but it doesn't sound promising.  Can anyone offer an alternate solution that would accomplish something similar to deleting an order? 

For example, deleting orders made it possible for customer accounts to strictly show orders related to products they own a license to.  I'd like to find a way to either not show certain orders (orders I previously would've deleted) or to mark those sorts of orders in a way that's clearly visible within the account itself (not within the orders).  I would've thought that canceling an order would do that, but it strangely doesn't.  When viewed from the customer's account, cancelled orders look just like any other order. 

Any suggestions are welcome as I'm pretty desperate for a solution.

0 Likes
Explorer
125 0 15

and see I am not the only one.  The issue I have is I am showing orders of chargebacks, incomplete orders and there is 0 way of removing or hiding them.  Bigcommerce still has the feature and I have thought about going back as this was huge for my industry.  Shouldnt have to keep orders in there if they are chargebacks or refunded.  It has nothing to do with taxes and there are very legitimate reasons to delete orders.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm not sure that the number of Shopify users affected by this matters much.  The reality is that Shopify themselves saw this as a useful feature at some point hence it existing in the first place.  Of course, Shopify must understand that some of their users (doesn’t matter how many) depended on that feature.  In my case, the existence of that feature is part of the reason I decided to go with Shopify.  Its removal is, IMO, a bit similar to false advertising.

The reasons that Iain mentioned for it being removed don't make very much sense.  Users in those cases simply wouldn't/shouldn't use the feature.  It isn't as if that feature got in their way or could be accidentally triggered.  It was at the bottom of an order page and brought up a nag dialog upon triggering it.

That said, I'm still looking for an alternate solution.  As I mentioned previously, canceling orders doesn't work as cancelled orders still appear in a customer's account like any other order which, IMO, seems like a bug.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
93 0 7

I'm with you guys.  I'm a new shop so this isn't a huge problem for me yet, but I can't stand scrolling through pages of a list - especially when most of the list is stuff I don't need to see.  Earlier this summer my site got hit by some sort of spambot that created a few dozen abandoned carts and I can neither delete them nor hide them. 

If Shopify can't give us the delete function back, how about simply the ability to hide from view all archived orders and abandoned carts? 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 43

Stupid choice, but we're used to it now... 

Deleting an order is useful to: 

1. Delete orders that have not been paid /fulfiled and is, therefore, cancelled. 
  2. Delete test orders
  3. Delete order placed by mistake via the "create order" button. (And it happens a lot, since order can't be edited/modified). 

+ we have a very well designed customer account section and we do want to delete orders that are placed with an offline payment method then replaced with an online payment method. It's cometic, and it can be fixed with some liquid, but we do believe that we shouldn't have to mess with that to have a clean customer account section. 

it is better for merchants to archive things rather than delete them for auditing purposes

Sorry, why ? I don't see any point here. Archiving test orders or order created by mistake has nothing to do with auditing purposes.

to protect merchants in situations where chargebacks have been placed on deleted orders

I'm quite sure that deleting orders not fully refunded wasn't possible already (not even sure that deleting orders paid via online payment was possible...) since it was necessary to cancel the order before deleting it.
Which is actually not a problem. 
However, being able to delete test orders and order placed with an offline payment method (never paid and never fulfiled) or placed and paid in gateway test mode seems quite a useful functionality that has absolutely no consequences on anything.

Anyway, it doesn't cause any major issue, and everything from the customer side can be hidden. 

BUT, it will mess quite a lot our database, with many, many orders that should not appear on the backend or repporting... which will lead to confusion, and eventual mistakes in both order handling and accounting. 

Non deletable/non editable orders is one of the main reason I wouldn't chose Shopify today. It may not matter much in many businesses, but it does for us. 

Not only the fact the functionality is gone, but the answer from Shopify really make me think Shopify staff has many difficulties when it comes to analyse a complex situation. Quite a pity.

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes
Explorer
125 0 15

I couldnt agree more, and their reasoning is honestly a horrible answer.  Again, they add another feature or REMOVE one when they have been talking about adding multiple location inventory management for 4 years and still nothing from them.  

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

I've talked to support about this issue several times and it doesn't seem too promising at this point even though some of the reps I spoke to who use Shopify are negatively affected by this change too!  Apparently, Shopify views the request to re-add this feature that many of us depend on like any other feature request and so the likelihood of it being fulfilled is based on the number of requests they get for it.  That's completely wrong as we're not requesting a new feature or change.  We're requesting that they reinstate a feature that already existed and that shouldn't have been removed in the first place.  This should not depend on the number of people who request it.  Again, Shopify themselves saw it as useful…that's why it was there, so that should count for something here too. 

From what I've been told, many users requested that this feature be removed.  However, Shopify could have easily accommodated that (and not screwed over those of us who need it) by providing an option to hide the feature.  Removing it all together makes absolutely no sense.

Any Shopify gurus out there willing to comment on this?

0 Likes