domains, subdomains.. stores and languages

Solved
Highlighted
3 0 1

Hello ! 

I am currently making a new website for a client, who will pay the Shopify Plus plan, and here's the scenario he wants : 

He wants to have a different domain according to the language, for example : 

- EN = www.site-name.com 

- FR = www.site-name-french-word.com or www.site-name.com.fr

The client will get his catalog + stocks + info from an external ERP (daily imports) 

There's no multicurrency, and prices are the same whatever the language is, also shipping rules etc as well. 

As far as I understand this was only possible if he had 2 different stores. 

But, I found out that actually it is possible to have multiple domains for 1 store as said in here : https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Add-second-domain-to-my-existing-Shopify-Store/td...

As I don't have a proper plan I am not able to test the features Shopify provides on this matter, if we use multiple domains (not subdomains) on one store, would it still be possible to : 
  • Have the same product catalog but choose from the backend what product may go to a specific domain ? 
  • Choose what contents are displayed on each domain from one single back end ? (for example manage collections, cms pages,  and choose on which domain to show them ? ) 
  • What happens for clients when they create their accounts ? would they be able to access their account from a .fr and .com ? 
  • Most of all, admin everything form the same backend ? 
Thanks for your help ! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 100 358

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @MateoChateau

There's a bit to unpack here, so I'm going to dive into each segment using block quotes to help keep things organized. Before we dive into your questions, I want to clarify domains a bit more. While you can add up to 10 domains to your Shopify account, they will lead to the same place. Going off the forum thread you've provided, this will not work for what your client hopes to do. 

He wants to have a different domain according to the language, for example : 
- EN = www.site-name.com 
- FR = www.site-name-french-word.com or www.site-name.com.fr
> Best bet here would be to do www.fr.sitename.com and www.en.sitename.com

Have the same product catalog but choose from the backend what product may go to a specific domain ? 

> It would not be possible to connect specific products to specific domains. You can not select which products go to which domain without having separate websites. 

Choose what contents are displayed on each domain from one single back end ? (for example manage collections, cms pages,  and choose on which domain to show them ? ) 

> The same applies to the above. Is there any reason why you do not want to use subdomains to achieve this? An excellent example of good use of pages and subdomains would be Urban Plant. You'll notice that clicking the tabs at the very top will redirect to the different brand pages while keeping the same URL. Pages will be the easiest solution to #1; subdomains would be the most effective. Using pages, you can manage the content and look and feel through a CMS, or Contentify, so they look entirely different from one another. 

What happens for clients when they create their accounts ? would they be able to access their account from a .fr and .com ? 

> Unless you're using different websites, all customer accounts would be attached to the primary domain of the store. 

Most of all, admin everything form the same backend ? 

> With the plus admin, you will be able to manage all your separate stores from one admin.

With the Shopify Plus subscription, your client will have access to "clone" stores, which would give them the flexibility to create additional stores for different languages, and/or currencies. That said, what you could also consider using is a geolocation app that would direct people to the storefront that best suits their language/currency. 

This part is a bit outside my area of expertise; however, you may be able to achieve this by using a headless build, or by using our storefront API to deploy content across multiple domains or websites. This will allow you the freedom of customizability. All in all, I would strongly recommend that your client reaches out to the accounts Launch Engineer once they are signed onto Plus as they will be able to provide further guidance on what we can do to ensure the best route is taken to get the desired outcome. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
3 0 1

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for your feedback, you provided all the answers we were seeking ;) 

You confirmed what we understood, and now we can advise our client and let him choose the best solution ! 

Mateo

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I have a question that would require a bit simplified answer, since I am not an expert in websites development.

Since I have a small start up, I am wearing many hats and need to decide on delegating the work that I would no longer be competent to do.

So, I have one Shopify account, one store, one domain connected to it.

Q: If I connect another domain selling different product than I sell, will catalogs interfere, including metrics and all other segments? Or I can manage it completely separated from each other, as long as they are connected to the different domain?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 100 358

@CroatLavender 

If I understand correctly, you are wondering if adding another domain to your existing Shopify store will interfere with the products attached to the domain you're adding? If yes, then the short answer would be yes. While you can add up to 10 domains to your Shopify store, all domains would lead to the same place. If you have two separate businesses, that offer two different product catalogues, then you would need to have more than one Shopify account as the monthly subscription only covers one store. 

If I misunderstood, or if you have any questions, let me know!

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Peter ,

Thank you for this detailed response, there is something I'm not quite sure I understood in your response.

Have the same product catalog but choose from the backend what product may go to a specific domain ? 
> It would not be possible to connect specific products to specific domains. You can not select which products go to which domain without having separate websites. 

From this part of your answer it sounds like you cannot have 1 global catalog product, show only a subset of that catalog in a specific domain then show a different subset of that catalog in a different domain. Would it be possible to create separate store or product catalog for each sub domain then ?

The reason I'm asking is because one of my client wish to use shopify but has specific requirements around products, some products should appear only on some sub-domain.

Best,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 100 358

@Quentinb 

You would need to create a new store in order to have a product catalogue specific to a subdomain as it is not currently possible to have a global product catalogue within one admin that shows products based on domain/region. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

@Peter 

Thank you for your response.

You would need to create a new store in order to have a product catalogue specific to a subdomain as it is not currently possible to have a global product catalogue within one admin that shows products based on domain/region. 

Can I have multiple stores under one Shopify account, managing those stores from one admin panel ?

Best,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 100 358

@Quentinb 

Each store would need to have its own individual admin area as multiple stores can not be managed under one. However; we do offer the store switcher feature which works alongside our single sign-on (SSO) feature. If all stores are under the same email address then you'll have the ability to switch between stores using the store switcher in the top right corner of your admin: 

20-09-65nab-on9py

The store switcher feater is available to all merchants on both mobile and desktop devices.