double entry of customer e-mail required on checkout.shopify.com screen

Highlighted
2 0 3

In many e-commerce stores when the customer is checking out, the e-mail address is requested 2 times, this is to ensure there is not a typo.  The two e-mail fields are then compared to be sure they are the same and sometimes you can’t even use cut and paste to fill the second e-mail field.  This ensures a high level of e-mail verification so accidental bad emails are not entered by mistake.  I am getting a high number of bad emails with my orders.  This makes it very difficult to fill the order as I deliver my product via e-mail and I do not ship to a physical address - without a correct e-mail address it is very difficult to fulfill my orders.

Does anyone know a good work around?

It would be nice if Shopify would add the option to the checkout screen so we can specify for dual entry of email by customers for email verification?  There was a time when phone number was simply and option and could not be required.  That got added although is not the way I want to solve this issue (requiring the phone number) as I believe some consider requiring the phone number to be an invasion of privacy.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
109 0 18

Hey Randall! 

There is not currently a method to modify any detail to the checkout page templates unless you are using the Shopify Plus plan. I can see the value of a feature like this though and will forward your feedback. :)

Although this is not a guaranteed fix to avoid customers entering incorrect email details, you could add some kind of message to your Cart Page that states in bold that "Valid email is required to properly deliver digital products." This likely won't prevent all typos, but may add a sense of urgency regarding that field once the customer enters the Checkout. 

Give that a shot!

Cheers,
Bob

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

This is a problem for us, also. As we are growing our online business but cannot yet afford the Plus plan, we would really appreciate Shopify adding the option to the regular plan. Come on, guys - you are making plenty of money off us. Please add this option to the regular plan? Or, at least give us an article with a code snippet that our developer can easily add to our template????? Thanks!

0 Likes