favicon.ico file will not upload - says corrupt

1 0 0

Hello,

I'm trying to upload a favicon file to shopify. I've created a 16x16px .ico file on 5 different sites and everytime I try to upload I get a "file is corrupted" error message. File displays fine on my mac and PC. I'm converting from a png file. Everything looks good with the file, not sure what else to try. Has anyone run into this? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2164 136 288

Hi Dave, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

I looked into this further for you. Our theme support team mentioned you would probably need a new file for this. There is a good favicon generator website they suggested also which you can find here

If you are still receiving the corrupted file message then something is likely up with the .png file and you would need a new one. 

Hope this helps and any other questions, just ask. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
195 0 84

Hello Nick.

Test is yourself using http://www.favicomatic.com/ 

or using a command line tool like "convert 16x16.png 32x32.png favicon.ico" to create a legit favicon.ico and it will say corrupt on Shopify's end.

I'm personally running into this today myself. I am a developer and my files are correct.

I have a feeling shopify is having difficulties dealing with "multi-sized .ico" files. Which are valid files & format, but Shopify is tagging them as invalid.

Proof & Point, I can download my live favicon.ico which i probably uploaded in 2015 and try to reupload it and it says it's corrupt. It's not corrupt. It's valid. Any new ones I try and generate Shopify is also telling me they are corrupt.

So something wrong on your end, please provide the technical team with these details and resolve the issue properly.

Cheers,
 Jordan

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2164 136 288

Hi Jordan, 

Thanks for sharing your feedback and letting us know. I will for sure mention this to the right team on our end. 

Would you be able to reply with an attach an image of what you're trying to upload to the post also so our team can see what image you are using to help us find out why it might not upload so we can look to improve it moving forward? It would be much appreciated. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 84

Here's my current one, which if I redownload and reupload it doesn't work.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0754/0497/files/favicon.ico

Or as mentioned, try if yourself using your own instructions

Fails for me using: http://www.favicomatic.com/ or using convert as mentioned above.

0 Likes
Trailblazer
195 0 84

Keep in mind, when I'm talking about upload where it's corrupted, it's in Settings -> Files,

not in Themes -> Assets

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2164 136 288

Hi Jordan, 

Thanks for sending this information over. As I mentioned above I will make the relevant team aware of this on your behalf. 

Thank you again. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello, 

I am having the same problem and my favicon is not showing in .png format. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

0 Likes